Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheCommunityCichlid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: N. Illinois
Posts: 4,203
Geophagus and apistos?

If I were to set up a 6' 125 with geophagus would a few apistogramma be alright with them?
__________________

__________________
TheCommunityCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bshenanagins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCommunityCichlid View Post
If I were to set up a 6' 125 with geophagus would a few apistogramma be alright with them?
When did you get that!? And I think as long as you avoid the more aggressive geo's you'd be fine. Appistos like to hide anyway as I'm learning so enough cover would work well.
__________________

__________________
bshenanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheCommunityCichlid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: N. Illinois
Posts: 4,203
Oh I've got a 125 stand and hoods I'm my girlfriends dad basement whenever I want lol
__________________
TheCommunityCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bshenanagins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCommunityCichlid View Post
Oh I've got a 125 stand and hoods I'm my girlfriends dad basement whenever I want lol
Ha! Awesome. But yeah I looked into it and my uncle actually kept geo's for a while with some weaker dither fish and never had a problem
__________________
bshenanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheCommunityCichlid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: N. Illinois
Posts: 4,203
Yea wish cbourg was still here, i know he keeps tetras and even some guppys temporarily with his so I figure a couple apistogramma cacatuoides pairs would be alright
__________________
TheCommunityCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bshenanagins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCommunityCichlid View Post
Yea wish cbourg was still here, i know he keeps tetras and even some guppys temporarily with his so I figure a couple apistogramma cacatuoides pairs would be alright
Give it a shot, if it gets hostile just remove them and send em to me!
__________________
bshenanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheCommunityCichlid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: N. Illinois
Posts: 4,203
Hahaha alright when you send those fx5s to me
__________________
TheCommunityCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Freakgecko91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCommunityCichlid View Post
Hahaha alright when you send those fx5s to me
Depends on what species, most geos are still fairly opportunistic, but if you go with a smaller species, like tapajo or pindare, it should work. Don't be surprised if they end up missing, I've never had luck keeping ANY dwarf in my 75, but I have a pretty big mix of cichlids
__________________
Freakgecko91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Oscar98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: millville pennsylvania
Posts: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCommunityCichlid View Post
Yea wish cbourg was still here, i know he keeps tetras and even some guppys temporarily with his so I figure a couple apistogramma cacatuoides pairs would be alright
What happened to cbourg!!??!?
__________________
Oscar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheCommunityCichlid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: N. Illinois
Posts: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakgecko91 View Post
Depends on what species, most geos are still fairly opportunistic, but if you go with a smaller species, like tapajo or pindare, it should work. Don't be surprised if they end up missing, I've never had luck keeping ANY dwarf in my 75, but I have a pretty big mix of cichlids
Alright I'll look into them. I was thinking apistogramma cacatuoides when they are 3"
__________________
TheCommunityCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Fett999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ipswich
Posts: 107
The cacatuoides are probably one of my favorite apistos, although personally I prefer the original yellow colour morph rather than the double reds. I'm thinking of putting a pair in a spare 100 that I've got sitting around waiting to be set up.
__________________
Fett999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheCommunityCichlid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: N. Illinois
Posts: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fett999 View Post
The cacatuoides are probably one of my favorite apistos, although personally I prefer the original yellow colour morph rather than the double reds. I'm thinking of putting a pair in a spare 100 that I've got sitting around waiting to be set up.
I love them as well, I've got no shortage of apistogramma just not well versed with geophagus.
__________________
TheCommunityCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Fett999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ipswich
Posts: 107
The taenioparius is cool and only gets to about 5-6 inches or the iporangensis maybe at about 4 inches or as mentioned above the pindare at about 6 inches, but I haven't got 1st hand experience so can't say what their temperament is like I'm afraid.
__________________
Fett999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Freakgecko91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fett999 View Post
The taenioparius is cool and only gets to about 5-6 inches or the iporangensis maybe at about 4 inches or as mentioned above the pindare at about 6 inches, but I haven't got 1st hand experience so can't say what their temperament is like I'm afraid.
I have 7 pindare, they are extremely laid back
__________________

__________________
Freakgecko91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.