Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question German blue, gold, and red rams

I was wondering do I need to have peat moss, and a low PH for my rams to spawn? Also I have several males and females in a 40 gallon tank and the males will buck up to each other, Can they get killed? How long before they spawn after pairing up? i have my water at 82. My nitates are low, I have several different areas with flat rocks and caves, and also gravel if they want to go that route. The females have really intense pink bellies. They have only been paired up for about a week to week and a half. If i leave the babies in the tank if I get lucky will the parents or the other fish eat them?

Old 05-01-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How many rams do you have in the 40? Do you have other community fish? I suggest to have a successful spawning, separate the pairs into their own 20G. Then you can remove the parents once the fry have matured a bit. Use sponge filters since they don't suck up fry. You could try setting up one tank with one pair to start.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you. I have moved one pair to a smaller tank. They are not as colorful and don't seem to hang around each other like they did in the big tank. I grabbed the female first then grabbed the male. I hope I grabbed the right sets.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Give them a chance to settle in. Is it a new tank set up? If yes, test the water often, even if you are using a seeded filter. Rams are sensitive to water quality. BTW, what are your water parameters?
Berylla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue, gold, rams, red

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com