German blue ram heavily bloated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samantha1801

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've noticed over the last week or so that one of my German blue rams looks very very bloated. After speaking with a few fellow fish owners I know they suggested I feed New Life Spectrum Thera +A because it contains garlic and would help flush the digestive system. Well it's been about 4 days he's still looking very bloated and becoming less active. He also seems to be gasping a bit(at least in my opinion. I could be wrong). The other fish in my tank are not doing any of this. I'm not sure what to do as I do not currently have a hospital tank the small tank I was using has a crack across the glass and slowly leaks and I haven't been able to purchase a new one. Any advice is much appreciated I really dont want him to die he was one of my first 2 fish getting back into this hobby after so long

Please take a read through the "unhealthy fish" sticky and give as much detail as you are able.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/before-posting-about-unhealthy-fish-read-this-32451.html

I would be particularly interested in the water temperature.

German blue rams (and their colour varients) like the water hot. Much warmer than typical community tanks are set up as. When they are kept at cooler temperatures than they prefer they just pick up more issues. Been there, done that, wont try it again. If i do another blue ram i will set up the tank with it in mind and keep other fish with them that similarly like the water hot.

You could try an epsom salt bath see if that flushes the fish out. Post #3 gives another members process for doing this.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/sos-fish-appears-very-unwell-379550.html

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
German Blue Ram. Very bloated. Not very active.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
Ammonia:0ppm
Nitrites:0ppm
Nitrate:10ppm
Ph:6.8
Temperature: 82 degrees

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 36 gallon bowfront. Been setup since September 2021

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Tetra Whisper EX70 for 45 to 75 gallons. Gph is 340/1287

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
2 German blue rams full size 2.5 inches
2 gold rams about 1.5 inches
2 cory catfish about 2 inches

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? Did water change with gravel vacuuming last night. Do maintenance about every 2 weeks. I do a 50 percent water change every time.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? Since December 2021

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? No

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Recently switched to new life spectrum Thera +A to try and see if the fish was bloated from the type of food. Before they got top fin tropical flakes and frozen brine shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom