Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2022, 05:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

German blue rams very active after water change

So unfortunately about a week ago I noticed my 2 German Blues had white spots that seemed to be ich. I've been treating them with increased temp and 2 water changes a week. They no longer have the white spots but I was advised my a Lfs to keep the temp raised for at least 2 weeks and same for the water changes. I did my second water change for the week on Saturday and since have noticed my German Blues have been very active. They're constantly swimming around it seems like they even come to greet me at the tank when I come to check on them. I've noticed them even coming up towards the top of the water now when they used to stick to the bottom at first. Is this normal behavior for them? I've also noticed their colors are becoming more noticeable and prominent. Is that also normal since I got them as adolescents? I know I'm probably over thinking everything I just really want them to be okay

Old 01-17-2022, 05:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

What temperature is your water normally at? And what is it now? German blue rams like the water hot. They probably prefer the warmer water.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The heater i had when I first got them was not getting the water any warmer than 78 so I invested in a stronger heater once I noticed they were sick. I gradually increased the temp to 86 degrees to help treat their ick. It is still at 86 now since it's only been a week. My lfs advised I do high temp for 2 weeks then bump it down to 82 degrees.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

82f/28c is a good temperature for blue rams. Can be on the warm side for other FW tropical fish.

Tags
ate, blue, blue ram, blue rams, change, german blue ram, german blue rams, ram, rams, water, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com