getting 3 jacks. need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwh0818

Aquarium Advice Addict
So tomorrow I'm picking up 3 jacks and a jewel. I need some advice because I have never had cichlids. It's a 110g tank with a 30g sump pumping 1400gph. So what do I do

What do you mean?

I keep jds and it sounds like the tank size is okay. I'd set up lots of different areas with line of sight breaks.

Otherwise it should be fine, however if you get a pair you might have issues.

jetajockey said:
What do you mean?

I keep jds and it sounds like the tank size is okay. I'd set up lots of different areas with line of sight breaks.

Otherwise it should be fine, however if you get a pair you might have issues.

Issues as in what. Also, do they eat cories, mollys, gouramis, plecos, or plattys?
Can I feed them freeze dries blood worms, flakes or even shrimp pelets.
Also will they eat plants. Sorry for all the questions but I'm new to jacks

jwh0818 said:
Issues as in what. Also, do they eat cories, mollys, gouramis, plecos, or plattys?
Can I feed them freeze dries blood worms, flakes or even shrimp pelets.
Also will they eat plants. Sorry for all the questions but I'm new to jacks

They won't bother bottom feeders but may attack Mollys. Jacks are semi-aggressive . You can feed them all that too. I feed mine cichlid pellets and flake food.

Mine have never worked out with any community fish long-term, at some point the fish start disappearing one by one, that includes corydoras.

I've heard that some like to uproot plants but mine don't mess with them.

While each fish is different, I wouldn't suggest keeping JDs with any of those fish, not even corys.

Yes, some corys do get larger than others and they do have spines like most other catfish, but if the JD swallows it, it will get stuck in the throat and you lose 2 fish instead. I've known people who have lost oscars that way.

the problem if they pair off would be that one may get killed as it intrudes on the pair's territory and is a threat to their offspring.
the food would be what you have suggested, and maybe Hikari or NLS pellets.
they might not eat the plants, but could uproot or shred them.
if you want a fish to go with the jacks, look at other american cichlids that hit about the same size or get pleco/catfish.

anything else? x

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
the problem if they pair off would be that one may get killed as it intrudes on the pair's territory and is a threat to their offspring.
the food would be what you have suggested, and maybe Hikari or NLS pellets.
they might not eat the plants, but could uproot or shred them.
if you want a fish to go with the jacks, look at other american cichlids that hit about the same size or get pleco/catfish.

anything else? x

Yes, would Oscars be okay with jacks

chances are yes, but u need the right tank and u need to be aware these fish species are extremely aggressive when spawning - or their personality can be very mean and it will just kill everything. these things happen but its trial and error x

chances are yes, but u need the right tank and u need to be aware these fish species are extremely aggressive when spawning - or their personality can be very mean and it will just kill everything. these things happen but its trial and error x

Well I only have 1 Jack and 2 Oscars in there right now

there is NOT enough space for 6 massive fish in there :L sorry!

each oscar needs 55g, or a long 75 for two.

a pair of JD needs 55g min. two pairs need 125 min, cos they will fight over territory and defending their spawns.

the 2 oscars will either pair up or kill eachother, its the way it seems to work, unless they are two females and they just about tolerate eachother.

there is too high a chance that u will end up with more than two males, so there will be fights there.

i reccomend seeing who of the 6 are calmest, pick a paired up couple of JDs and maybe keep an oscar. but u cant have all 6 as it will be a war zone with extreme bioload :( xxxx

there is NOT enough space for 6 massive fish in there :L sorry!

each oscar needs 55g, or a long 75 for two.

a pair of JD needs 55g min. two pairs need 125 min, cos they will fight over territory and defending their spawns.

the 2 oscars will either pair up or kill eachother, its the way it seems to work, unless they are two females and they just about tolerate eachother.

there is too high a chance that u will end up with more than two males, so there will be fights there.

i reccomend seeing who of the 6 are calmest, pick a paired up couple of JDs and maybe keep an oscar. but u cant have all 6 as it will be a war zone with extreme bioload :( xxxx

Nobody said I was getting 6 fish. I have 2 Oscars and a jack. The only other thing I'm getting is a cat

wait the thead said getting 3 jacks? so i assumed u were putting 3 jacks in with your 1 jack and 2 oscars. whats happening? lol!

wait the thead said getting 3 jacks? so i assumed u were putting 3 jacks in with your 1 jack and 2 oscars. whats happening? lol!

I had to change because my jacks were given away and plus I think Oscars are more neat

Back
Top Bottom