Getting new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bambinojake

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am getting a new 29 gal tank, i am going to put 2 convict cichlids, a male and a female.

When i breed my fish do i need to separate the female from the male? Also do i need to feed them something specific?

A 29g is fine for a pair of convicts, and no you don't need to seperate the male from the female. For food just use a quality pellet as staple.

But what are you planning to do with all the fry? They are so common that local fish stores won't take them, and you'll be unable to give them away.

I dont know, i was hoping i could give them to a pet store but if they wont take them i have no idea what to do with them.

What would you do with your convicts

I haven't kept convicts for years, I breed lots of other cryptoheros genus such as honduran red points, sajica, and cutteri. If your looking to sell some fish I'd suggest discussing the possibilities with your local stores as to what they would be willing to buy. Every area is different, here around Chicago sajicas and cutteri are very rare and fry can be sold for $7-12 each.

The other issue you'll have is that local stores don't generally take fish that are under a inch, a 29g becomes quickly overcrowded trying house hundreds of 1" fish waiting to be sold. If your interested in breeding I'd consider adding a few more tanks to house fry. I current have 10 40g breeders among other larger tanks to breed and sell my fish.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom