Gh Q

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never tried the peat moss.

Currently I appear to have a calcium deficiency in the plants and have been dosing extra. I assume that means the plants are using the calcium up but don't have a test to confirm this and this is just from looking at the plant leaves.

Edit - should add I have a gh cardboard strip test but not sure if these work correctly.

I wish i knew more about plants to help. What do you dose with? I used i believe excel and flourish? Back in the day. But i heard root tabs work great. I could never keep plants alive. And the test strips are better than nothing to get a round about idea of where youre at, but the liquid test kits are more specific. I got the regular api test kit (ph,nitrate) all that for like 25.99 and then picked up the gh/kh set for 6.99. Its worth the investment. My gh is extremely high?which isnt good with a possible discus pair in the tank

I've never tried the peat moss.

Currently I appear to have a calcium deficiency in the plants and have been dosing extra. I assume that means the plants are using the calcium up but don't have a test to confirm this and this is just from looking at the plant leaves.

Edit - should add I have a gh cardboard strip test but not sure if these work correctly.

api sells a GH and KH liquid test kit. I don't know why it doesn't come in the master test kit, that's stupid

+1 on the api root tabs, they work well

If i get any guaranteed pairs im going to put them in a separate tank with a ro mix. It would be crazy to do that in a 55 or the 125 with the amount of wc i do

If your fish are healthy and happy I wouldn't mess around too much with the water chemistry. Stability is the key to a healthy aquarium, the fish don't like swinging water parameters.

I wish i knew more about plants to help. What do you dose with? I used i believe excel and flourish? Back in the day. But i heard root tabs work great. I could never keep plants alive. And the test strips are better than nothing to get a round about idea of where youre at, but the liquid test kits are more specific. I got the regular api test kit (ph,nitrate) all that for like 25.99 and then picked up the gh/kh set for 6.99. Its worth the investment. My gh is extremely high?which isnt good with a possible discus pair in the tank

Yes, I've just never bothered with gh (only kh) in a liquid test. Should do as so cheap! Good idea :)

I dose dry ferts but also API leaf zone. Basically double dosing iron (although it never shows on a test) and potassium. It's pretty cheap here and an ongoing excuse to go to the lfs. I definitely get pin prick holes in leaves if I don't keep up the dosing.

Also dose DIY substrate tabs but just got a heap of API root tabs. Mainly for the clay to try that. Trying to improve the substrate as I think that is a problem.

Large tanks seem problematic here talking with people around the fish shops. Small tanks do ok but anything 2ft high or better seems to struggle for growing plants.

Back
Top Bottom