Gh too high for convict/red devil tank? Will they ever swim around?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelly5978

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My bf cichlid tank has 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates, ph 8, kh 10 or 200 ppm, and gh 25 or 450+ ppm. I gave him a cycled tank (previously occupied by angelfish). He made all the unoriginal mistakes : overcrowding, overfeeding, over medicating when a fish with ich (and something white hanging out of his gill) wasn't quarantined before adding, changing meds before completing cycle, etc. he finally rehoused most of the fish, and now has a female convict, a male convict, a red devil (who I know also has to eventually go), and a little moorii (until this morning, when the moorii passed). Here was the moorii yesterday

What's wrong with my moori? - YouTube

Poor guy! Okay, so first: anyone know what was wrong with the moorii? I have 3 theories: 1. Ammonia. The fish were exposed when bf was doing daily water changes because his ammonia hit 1 everyday due to too many fish. 2. Ich in gills. He only completed 2 cycled of the quick cure, before becoming impatient after the sick fish died, and using water changes/carbon to take the meds out. 3. Too high gh and or too much salt. Our water out of tap is 15 gh. Bf added aquarium salt (lfs advise) 1 tsp per 5 gal when he started. I doubt there's any left after all his water changes, but at one point he tried a homemade "Malawi blend" with baking soda, aquarium salt and Epsom salt. Those are the only reasons I can see the gh getting so high. He took out 20% yesterday, and added pure dechlorinated water (no adds). I will test later.
My second reason for the post is advice on making the final 3 comfortable and happy. The red devil has developed black marking near his eyes, and the 2 convicts hide in the log. The tank looks deserted. The male convict was given to us 4 days ago, by a friend. I KNOW the tank he came from. He's a hardy fish, with no disease (at least until we got him). His little gf is so dark black, you can barely see her stripes (aside from her bulging orange belly). I know they're trying to mate. All the more reason to get the water right. Please advise!

What you are seeing is completely normal for most cichlids. They are afraid of predation which is why they spend the majority of time around structure near the substrate. This is the reason why people add in schools of dither fish which occupy the upper water regions as shows the swimming cichlids below that it's safe to come out. I'm not sure what tank size this as but smaller tanks tend to increase this behavior.

Thx so much. I will tell bf to leave them be. The 2 red devil and girl convict swim around now, and the big guy can just come out when he's ready. I guess the really high gh is ok then? I retested after bf put new zero-carb media and start right in filter....ammonia was under .25, nitrites-0, nitrates-10. Kh-10, gh -still 25, and ph was 8.4. The red devil flicked a few times, but I never see the convicts do it! We will just watch and wait. Hopefully start right will get us through the mini-cycle, and the flicking and hiding will stop once they're comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom