ghost knifefish and dwarf cichlids????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DARK Jak

Aquarium Advice Freak
didnt know but could a black ghost knifefish go with dwarf cichlids, a severum, a festivum, a redhump geophagus, ottos, silver dollars, and twig catfish. :( :? :? :?

The best thing for a black ghost knifefish is to keep them alone. And of course a pleco wouldn't hurt.

I have a black knife 5" with 5 3.5" cichlids and they all get along fine, but the black knife hides all day anyway so they don't interact much anyway.

sorry if i mislead you but i dont have the black ghost knifefish yet that is just a pic from a web site. :oops:

Tony Starks said:
I have a black knife 5" with 5 3.5" cichlids and they all get along fine, but the black knife hides all day anyway so they don't interact much anyway.

Yes, but that BGK is still just a baby...wait until he hits 14"+.

The black ghost knife is going to hide all of the time, so give him a good place to hide where he can't be picked on by the cichlids for now. When he gets older he might try to snack on your cichlids, but I have never heard of them feeding on live fish.
They are passive feeders, so I would buy a syringe and feed him bloodworms straight into his hiding place so he doesn't have to watch the cichlids eat all of his food. Also, feed the cichlids at the same time, but another type of food, so they aren't even more agressive at feeding time.
I wouldn't recommend this, but if other people have them with cichlids and they are okay, then there is no reason why you can't have one too.

I have a black ghost knife in a 29 gal with angels. The BGK is only 6" but leaves the angels alone and they leave him (her?) alone. Still, it's a gamble. I also have cories and swordtails in there and so far no problems but I'm well aware that in just a few more inches, he'll need to be moved. If you want to try it while the knife is small to let him grow a bit, then it should be ok.

The BGK has been growing for a year in this tank and not one problem during that time. Mine can easily compete with the angels for food so I try to put both floating and sinking food at the same time so he's less likely to take food from them. Also, my angels will eat by hand so if I'm having trouble, I'll just hand feed them and make the BGK wait. He can definately out eat the cories, so I usually drop more food and space it around the tank so they get a fair share.

Oh, and as far as them hiding all the time, they don't all do that. I keep the lighting on my tank low (1 wpg in a shady spot of a room) with lots of decorations, hiding places, and live plants. My BGK is out and about 80% of the time (in fact, right now he's poking about the leaves of a broadsword plant). They do have different personalities so some are going to be more peaceful/aggressive or active/shy then others.

Back
Top Bottom