Gold Ram Wigglers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikeaq

Aquarium Advice Activist
My gold ram fry will be free swimming tomorrow or Tuesday.

I'm just wondering how many times a day I should feed them vinegar eels?

I know the eels will be alive in the tank for around 3 days.

Does this mean I should only feed them eels once every 3 days?

Also, any other advice on raising ram fry would be greatly appreciated.

I have them in a cycled 2.5 gallon with a sponge filter temp is 82

Is it okay to put Malaysian trumpet snails in the fry tank while they're still wigglers?

for about the whole month that this fry tank was cycling I had a Betta & 4 guppies in it. I never cleaned it until the day I found the ram eggs.

there was a lot of detritus in it that I siphoned out.

I thought it was clean but once the eggs hatched and there were wigglers I noticed a lot of daphnia & small white worms in the tank.

I'm guessing it's a good thing because they'll eat detritus and be a food source for the fry once they become free swimming but I want to be safe and have the snails in there too to keep it even cleaner

The little worms are nematodes the fry will eat them. They occur when you have a lot of nutrients and not anything to eat them.

I set up my bottle to harvest the vinegar eels last night & barely any of them made it up into the freshwater.

I took a baster and sucked them out but the freshwater smells like vinegar. Is that normal? And is it safe to put that vinegar smelling freshwater with the eels into the fry tank?

Is you plug decently tight? I don't think it will be a problem as long it is clear water. Your culture must not be super matured if there's not a lot. I can't see through mine when I set mine up.

My culture is probably a month and a half old, but there is no where near a giant cloud of eels. I must've done something wrong.. ****.

Hopefully the fry can eat the daphnia and little worms in the tank until I can get some more eels out hopefully tonight or tomorrow

How can I start the vinegar eels? Can i do it with things i have at home or do I need to buy them?

U need a starter culture, apple cider vinegar & water

Thats what I need to start it? Then just leave it in a tuperwear?

You buy your starter culture, then put that into your mother culture to start it growing. I sell mine with instructions to do everything.

I could do $8 including shipping. No guarantee that they will survive the cold though. I think they would be okay but if they aren't I can refund it or ship another as soon as it warms. We just got snow here in chicago.

Well I only lost 2 fry through the night. I looked closely and saw a few of them pooping so I know they've got to be eating something!
I also saw a few of them gliding across the tank bottom face first trying to eat.
Hopefully they're all eating!

Today is day 2 of free swimming. How soon before I can feed freshly hatched artemia?

Today is day 4 of free swimming and I've only got like 10-12 that are actually still swimming. The rest of them about 50+ are laying on the bottom of the tank alive. It seems they can't swim.

What's the problem? Do they have swim bladder disorder?

I've been doing small water changes every day and cleaning the bottom of the tank.

Is there a cure or should I just give up?

Back
Top Bottom