Gold rams breeding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikeaq

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today is exactly 4 weeks since my gold rams laid. during this time I've set up a tank to transfer the eggs to and put plenty more pieces of clay pot into the gravel. Yesterday the two were definitely doing the mating dance together and cleaning out a spot in the gravel. but no eggs. Today they aren't defending a territory together so I know there are no eggs & the male is ready to go, pursuing the female, but the female is swimming away from him showing no interest. Her breeding tube is sticking out but not all the way and her stomach is slightly fat and really not that bright of a pink.

Is she just not ready yet? I know these fish breed 2-4 weeks apart to the day and I've been waiting impatiently for 4 weeks now. Is it possible that she'll still lay?

He's an extremely healthy male & she is a little iffy. She's almost always pale & I've had to treat her a couple times for her tail bunching up. But they are definitely a pair and always get along so I know it's not because she's always stressed.

Anyone have an experience like this and advice?

They will spawn on their own cycle, not yours. However, to help get them in the mood, I've always done a 30% water change with a refill of cooler water followed by a feeding of brine shrimp for a few days. Within a few days from that, I've gotten eggs.

Of course, this is after noticing the signs, the tube sticking out, the female starting to plump up (start feeding them blood worms once a day until the water change) them picking a spot, the male showing off etc.

I'm actually doing this tomorrow (against doctor's orders to be in bed resting) as I saw one of my pairs of blues earlier this week looking ready.

Sounds like typical mikrogeophagus ramirezi behavior. Males are always ready and the female will lay when she wants to. Some pairs never spawn at all, Just be patient and it will happen.

I've been feeding bloodworms for about 3 days now along with a couple nls pellets soaked in vita chem.

They're back to cleaning up a spot. I just shut the lights off so I guess we'll see what happens in the morning.

As far as the egg tank goes:

10 gallon, bare bottom, sponge filer
temp is the same as the breeding tank
& I've got a really small water pump running directly above where the eggs will go on the lowest setting to simulate the fanning from the parents.

Anything else I should know when raising the fry? I know I don't even have eggs yet but I'm being optimistic.

Well very starters if they lay the eggs in the sand you won't be able to remove them. Second mikrogeophagus ramirezi eggs easily mold so I use methelyene blue in my egg tanks. Lastly your gonna need vinegar eels as the fry won't likely take dry food and may be to small even for baby brine shrimp

I've had good luck raising fry on hikari first bites and micro worms. vinegar eels work just as well but make sure you rinse them very well before feeding the fry.

I've had good luck raising fry on hikari first bites and micro worms. vinegar eels work just as well but make sure you rinse them very well before feeding the fry.
Lost about 100 fry cause they wouldn't take to first bites, so that went in the trash. Did you get mikrogeophagus ramirezi fry to take the first bites?

I hope I can get my rams to spawn and hopefully the fry will accept first bites.

they're cleaning off multiple areas now, going back and forth between 2 different pieces of clay.

I noticed the female flashing she scratched herself on a piece of driftwood. I've been treating her for about a month now with mardel quick cure.

It works for a few days basically until the carbon goes back in the filter then she starts scratching again. Also as soon as I put the quick cure in she is Immediately in the mood & goes right to cleaning a spot.

Do you guys no another medicine that would work more effectively?

Its not ich & there are no visible signs of any parasites on her. She's been doing this since I've had her & I've been using vita chem & the quick cure to keep them alive.

These are petco gold rams so I'm leaning toward something internal.

seems like she can't get the area clean enough or she's trying to lay the eggs and can't get them out

Well very starters if they lay the eggs in the sand you won't be able to remove them. Second mikrogeophagus ramirezi eggs easily mold so I use methelyene blue in my egg tanks. Lastly your gonna need vinegar eels as the fry won't likely take dry food and may be to small even for baby brine shrimp

I put 1 teaspoon of methylene blue in the 10 gallon egg tank. How long is the water going to stay blue? and how long before the second dose?

Back
Top Bottom