Gourami with cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

russrimm

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an opaline gourami that's pretty agressive towards other gourami. I've tried everything to get them to get along. Could I move my opaline gourami into my 65 gal tank with 3 african cichlids or would she get eaten? They're all about the same size.

Gouramis can be more aggressive towards their own kind then most think. How large is the tank they're in now, and are they a male and female? Probably the best thing you could do is provide a refuge for her int the tank she's now in.

They're in a 20 gallon long. The opaline is female. Not sure about the pearl gourami, but the olive is definitely bigger and he or she is the one getting picked on. Would the opaline not survive in the cichlid tank?

No, it won't survive with the african cichlids. Assuming that they are mbuna cichlids, they will absolutely kill the gourami.

African cichlids are very persistent when they don't want a fish in their territory. I've seen them pick on and win against fish larger than they are. I am with Poppab02, the gourami would not survive.

I have 2 african cichlids in a 55g along with 2 gouramis (one moonlight, and one golden). The cichlids have NEVER paid a bit of attention to the gouramis. In fact, the golden gourami bullies the moonlight one a little bit, and my 2 cichlids have little turf wars with each other, but never with the other species... All 4 of the fish are about the same size, so that may have something to do with the harmony they've created with each other.

All 4 of the fish are about the same size, so that may have something to do with the harmony they've created with each other.
IMO, the cichlids have not reached maturity and all is peaceful for now.

African cichlids are very persistent when they don't want a fish in their territory. I've seen them pick on and win against fish larger than they are. I am with Poppab02, the gourami would not survive.
I had a goursami and my African Leaf Fish in a tank together, and the second we put them together, they started chasing each other, nipping at each others fins, and opening their mouths as wide as they could, Leafy won, he was bigger, and had a larger mouth, but they still would fight. The gourami was removed, and put in with my other fish. He attacked them, almosy killed my angelfish, and we put the gourami was put in solitary confinement until he died. So, i might worry about putting gouramis in with African Cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom