Gravel vac?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have to be totally honest here. I know your suppose to gravel vac but it's so hard to do in my tank unless I totally break it down. I do my pwc and get to gv where I can but to do the whole tank is almost impossible to do! How do you do it? I broke my tank down a few times and did it but now I have the tank set up just how I wanted it after re doing it like 10 times.

Now I'm happy with it and it's hard to get in everywhere. A friend had said I can stir up the substrate with my hand or try and get a net in the hard to reach areas and then let the vac or filter do the rest.

Your thoughts.

I think if you get the majority of the tank, what is left behind will be ok and can be enough for you bacteria to feed off of, saying its not more area than what your vacuuming.

Gotcha, thanks. It would be a HUGE pain to break the tank down like that. I know eventually I will have to, so I can really give it a good cleaning but right now my tank is going into week 3 of my fish in cycle.

id prob not vacuum until its fully cycled. Pwc, yes. Just dont feed as much. Fish are opportunistic feeders, they grab at any chance of food. They are ok with a few days with no food which is better in the beggining then later fully cycled. Do you have ghost shrimp? Theyll help eat left over food.

Thanks for your response. No, I have a BN Pleco. And I've been feeding them every other day.

Is it difficult because of plants? Or decor? I wasn't sure what your situation was although, if that's your tank in your avatar pic, that's a beautifully planted tank.

LyndaB said:
Is it difficult because of plants? Or decor? I wasn't sure what your situation was although, if that's your tank in your avatar pic, that's a beautifully planted tank.

Why thank you! :) there all fake plants only things that are real are driftwood and rocks. Yes it's my avatar pic and it's the decor that makes it so difficult. I try my hardest but it seems like the only way is to break the tank down which would big a HUGE task!! :( I've rearrange my tank several times until I got it just right. I try and feed them in the same spot all the the time. The right side, I know it doesn't mean much but my thinking behind it was maybe I can get most of the un eaten food right there. I watch them eat and try not to feed them too much. Anyway... To gravel vac my whole tank will be some task!

Can you post a pic of the whole tank so we can get a better idea of the obstacles you are facing? All the descriptions and tiny avatar pic got me curious! Haha

Of course, the reason I was hoping you had live plants was for them to utilize whatever's in the substrate as food. But you cheated! ;)

LyndaB said:
Of course, the reason I was hoping you had live plants was for them to utilize whatever's in the substrate as food. But you cheated! ;)

Ha!! I never cheat! NEVER! ;)

Back
Top Bottom