Great Salvini Cichlid pick up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

V227

Aquarium Advice Addict
I picked up this young adult male Salvini Cichlid, ( Cichlasoma Salvini ) two days ago from my favorite LFS. I've kept Salvini over the years but I have never seen a male whose colors outshined the females until then. The store manager skillfully netted the little guy out of the display tank, which was stacked with Salvinis and Firemouths.
I put the new Salvini into the 65 gal. Grow out tank which already housed two female Salvinis.
I just noticed that the new male and the largest female both were sporting full breeding colors
The male has the neon blue coloration. The female is bright yellow and red. Talk about a quick courtship. I'm going to transplant these two into the display tank after QT.

Attachments

• 20180213_123949.jpg
    20180213_123949.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 176
  • 20180213_125610.jpg
    20180213_125610.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 123
No . A buddy of mine had 1 male and 2 females in his 180 and they all looked like your female .
The red on his tail and the blue make for a very handsome fish..
I would be trying to breed him but we all know I have no control.

CB
Looks like the probability of a mated pair is likely. They are both still very young, just under 3" inches. It would be really cool and maybe even profitable if they produced bright blue males.
Mike
Salvinis are very aggressive towards each other. Unless guarding a nest or cave, they aren't
too bad regarding other fish. Mine are swimming with a school of Black Skirt and White Tip Rosy Tetras, no problem. If you still live in Tulsa, I picked the blue male up from Southern
Agriculture, Tulsa Hills location.

Yes, Highway 75 and 71 st. There is another Southern Agriculture at 71 st and Sheridan Rd. Those two stores are the only Southern Ags. That sell fish. I've been doing business with them for 20 yrs.

Thanks. I wish I had looked harder down there. I only found one store in Tulsa. I guess I didn’t look very hard

Back
Top Bottom