Green Severum Care Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pglenn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have what appears to be a couple of Green Severum, one about 2" and the other about 3/4", that were caught in an intercoastal tributary near Fort Lauderdale. Even though I dont believe this is their natural range they perfectly match the pics I have seen, with a very pale green sheen and 9 full stripes across their body, dark spot on end of top fin, and red eyes.

As I have read these will grow up to 8" I will need to move them as they grow - if I keep them. My question is are these freshwater or brackish water? As I found them in an intercoastal, how much salt can they take and for how long?

Patrick

It almost sounds too bizarre Patrick. Severum are native to the Amazon basin. The waters there are soft and acidic. Can you post a pic?

I dont have a camera so I cant post pics. The two fish that I have, have 9 stripes, the 6th is connected to the spot on the upper fin. The belly/underside is light/white

Following are the closest I can find. If there is any species that is native to FL and is close to these pics I would be happy to know.

close to this but with light underbelly (stripes dont continue to bottom), and not the dark face:
http://species.fishindex.com/photo_2932heros_severus_green_severum.html

Patrick

nah, mine definitely has a much stronger resemblance to the Green Severum. This one has too narrow a body and spots on the sides whihc mie is without.

Patrick

It is very common for aquarium fish to be released into the wild, especially in Florida. There are tons of aquarium species that live quite happily in the canals and waterways there, so don't rule it out.

It might also be easy to mis-identify these wild-caughts if they are native, so I'd contact your extension agent - they are very knowledgeable about what fish are found where, and what "alien" fish are known to exist in certain areas.

That's excellent advice TG. I know that some species of tropical fish have survived release into non native waters. Often causing havoc to the natural ecology (such as snakeheads). So as unlikely as it seems to me, it is entirely possible that what pglenn has fished out are in fact severum. I'd feel more sure of that if I knew that no native brackish water fish existed which closely resemble the severum.

Even though I'm not from Missouri, ya gotta "show me". LOL

Well, I don't know much about Fl. fish so I decided to do a search for native species. Found something called a sheepshead that is simular to the fish you describe. It comes inland in the winter to spawn and although it is a sw fish, it can also be found in brackish rivers. Here are a couple links. The pics are just drawings. I'll keep looking to find a live pic. This may or may not be your fish but, check it out. :D

http://www.safmc.net/fishid/fmpro?-db=content&-lay=main&-format=profile.html&-recid=33163&-find

http://marinefisheries.org/FishID/porgshee.html

again similar but the body is not as tall as what I have in my 2 fish, and missing the dark circular spot on the top fin that mine have.

I am well aware of the release of non-native fish in South FL waters, including the Green Severum, so I am still not counting it out.

Patrick

OK, let's assume they are green severum. What are the tank parameters that they are currently in? Severum typically show those bars when they stressed or freightened. Are they eating? Are there any other fish in their tank, and if so what?

Severum are a fantastic aquarium fish. I had them for years and they are very easy to care for.

Currently in a 29g planted tank but if I keep them I may move them to a 29g by themselves. The smaller one has much more distinct stripes than the larger one. They have been eating - flake, frozen mysis, blood worms, whatever I put in the tank, as well as working on the hair algae that I *had* in the tank. They are quite active and dont seem stressed at all. Current tankmates include a dwarf puffer, rubber-face pleco, 6 octo' cats, 4 rainbow, a female fiddler, and about 10ghost shrimp.

You've got an interesting assortment of fish in that 29g. The dwarf puffers and severum may become a problem in time. Especially since the puffers are brackish water fish and severum are not........which leads me to the rainbows, pleco, and otos as well because they typically don't do well in a briny environment.

Do you know the pH? Have you added salt to this tank? Alot can be learned from observation and the fisrt key is how active, hungry and healthy they appear. If all of your fish are eating and active there is no cause for immediate concern but you may not be providing the best environment for all of the species in that tank.

I do believe that the Dwarf Puffer is one of if not the only true freshwater puffer. All of the fish are active and eating (well as active as plecos go). No aggression at all other than the expected puffer doing occasional fin-nipping. I have noticed some bullying from the "severum" at feeding time but the rainbow tend to hold their ground.

Yep - dwarf puffers are true FW but they can be iffy in a community setting. Sounds like you've got a close eye on things, though.

I guess the only thing to be done is see how they fare over time and if they seem to be foundering, while the other fish in the tank are thriving, then it may be a clue they will require a brackish tank.

Back
Top Bottom