Green terror and tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tk82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all! So I posted awhile back around September about my juvie green terror, firemouth and electric blue Acara when i initially brought them home. Fast forward to today and they've all grown to about 3 inches and are still housed in a 40 breeder. I have a 75 gallon in storage to move them when ready. My question is what is the max size or how long should i keep them in the 40b before I absolutely have to move them into a bigger tank? They are definitely slow growers so im in no rush but on the flipside I also don't want to stunt their growth or stress them from being in a "tiny home." Also, knowing that my gt will get 10+ inches eventually, and he will be my centerpiece, his level of aggression may/may not change down the line.... I may or may not be able to keep his current tankmates with him. Knowing this, what are THE absolute suitable tankmate(s) I can keep with him if any at all?

In a 75g a gt won't be good with anything imo.

I'm talking as an adult. Bigger tank needed

A 75 will be good for a while, better than a 40. What are you waiting for? =)

A 75 will be good for a while, better than a 40. What are you waiting for? =)
Well seeing that they are only around 3 inches the rush isn't there until about 5 inches or so, Besides getting a 75 gallon up the stairs in my condo unit isnt quite easy by myself.

Your firemouth and Acara can stay in the 40 if the GT gets crazy. Plenty of room for them in a 40b.

I've kept a green terror and a synspilum in a 75 gallon for years the gt was extremely docile not all gt's get aggressive. It's all based on the individual fish and since they are small you cant assume the gt has to be alone in a 75 gallon. On the other hand I also had a 7 inch firemouth I had to rehome because it was a nasty bugger those should be in a species only tank as they like to be kept in schools.

I've kept a green terror and a synspilum in a 75 gallon for years the gt was extremely docile not all gt's get aggressive. It's all based on the individual fish and since they are small you cant assume the gt has to be alone in a 75 gallon. On the other hand I also had a 7 inch firemouth I had to rehome because it was a nasty bugger those should be in a species only tank as they like to be kept in schools.
Ive been getting conflicting advice but all advice are good. Right now they're all juices so everythings subject to change. Good to know. I was thinking about some roseline barbs possibly 3 or even tiger barbs... Any thoughts?

Ive been getting conflicting advice but all advice are good. Right now they're all juices so everythings subject to change. Good to know. I was thinking about some roseline barbs possibly 3 or even tiger barbs... Any thoughts?
Barbs can be hit or miss(especially tiger barbs) they can be peaceful or fin nippers my favorite schooling fish are the rainbow fish there are tons of species and they come in all sorts of colors. Some can get larger than others but I love the colors on them. Barbs also are a schooling fish and should be kept in a school of at least 6 but you could get away with more in a 75 gallon. I added 12 in my tank years ago at the same time and they all died so I would suggest if you want a big school add them 3 or 4 at a time then wait a while and add more. You wouldn't want to "nuke" the tank with adding a bunch of new fish. Hope this helps if you have any more questions I would be glad to answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Definitely interested in a few dennison(roseline) barbs. Just hoping they do well in a tank w a gt, firemouth and electric blue acara. I would like a fairly stocked tank so long as its not cramped or any od them killing off each other

Definitely interested in a few dennison(roseline) barbs. Just hoping they do well in a tank w a gt, firemouth and electric blue acara. I would like a fairly stocked tank so long as its not cramped or any od them killing off each other
How many rosaline barbs do you want?

3 or4 would be good. Prior to adding them check the parameters in your tank so it is as stress free as possible.
Just bought 3 yesterday. They're about 2.5" everything seems ok so far. The store had 6 I was very tempted to get all 6 but decided not to. I'll let everyone simmer and get acquainted for a while then move everything to a 75g. I read somewhere that they do better in schools of even numbers rather than odd. Any truth to that?

Back
Top Bottom