Green Terror Sex ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ram897

Aquarium Advice Activist
Was wondering if anyone can help me ID the sex of my green terror. I got in January when it was about an inch long and it is now 4-5 inches.

Attachments

• IMG_20170730_134155.jpg
    IMG_20170730_134155.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 70
Male green terror photo

Your rivulatus looks to be a female. The coloration is not as vivid as most of the GT males i have seen. Although a large percent of RIvulatus males do not get frontal humps most have what looks to be the start of one. Males usually have a thicker orange band on the tail. As females go, your fish is a little more colorful than most. I'll try to attach a photo of one of my RIvulatus males, 4 y.o. 8" long.

Attachments

• 20170709_093921.jpg
    20170709_093921.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 97
I forgot to add that I have kept 4 GT' s . I picked each out at the LFS when they were an inch long hoping for males. Ended up being 3 males, 1 female. I've only been correct 75% of the time. One more note about GT gender id. I've noticed that even as juveniles quality males will have big wide "paddle" tails. Hope this helps.

What a beautiful fish! Thank you for your time and help. I don't know why it is such a big deal that I know the sex but to me it is like knowing the names of all my hostas in my gardens...... I don't plan on getting another one but I am looking for tank mate ideas. I would like a little added color to my tank but I don't want anything that the GT may fight with or kill. Any ideas?

Thanks. What you keep with your GT depends a lot on the size of your tank. I only have 2 GT's left. I had to rehome the other 2 due to aggression towards each other. The remaining 2 are kept in separate tanks, a 65 gal. And a 120 gal. Male GT's don't get along together very well. I don't know how agressive your GT is but A lone GT, Rivulatus variety, is not particularly agressive as South American cichlids go. As for tankmates with nice colors, firemouths, salvini, larger Bolivian rams. Big tetras, Columbian, Buenos Aries or maculatus "spotted" silver dollars ( they stay smaller). I keep the one pictured with a group of red terrors (festae) and a variety of African cichlids, Dragon blood peacocks, borleyi, yellow tail acei and Malawi eye biters. The GT is the tank boss. Keep AA updated on your additions.

Good ideas. It is a lone GT with an albino pleco of some sort about 5 inches long. 46 gallon bow front. The GT hides in the cave all day so I was hoping if I got some tankmates it wouldn't be so antisocial. 46 gal may not be big enough tho. I have a longer tank that is 65 that houses 4 very messy and active pictus cats. They case and nip anything I put in their tank so they are named after serial killers and have the whole thing to themselves. They don't even have substrate because they are so messy. Just a few caves. They are about 5 years old and I thought once they were gone I would move the GT and company to the bigger tank but I am beginning to think they may live forever!

Back
Top Bottom