Green Terror with Severum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivers2k

Aquarium Advice Addict
Was thinking about getting 1 or 2 juvenile Green Terrors and putting them in with my 1 Red Dot Severum and 5-6 Fire mouths in a 75 gallon. Would this work?

I really don't know much about GT temperament so many people say they live up to there name others say they are babies. My Fire mouths are pretty aggressive so I am not worried about them as much as the GT with the Severum.

I think that mix would work but I think a 75 is too small. I have 4 severums in a 75 with nothing else and 50% weekly water change is just barely keeping my trAtes under 30. Im not sure if there will be enough space to keep peace when the terrors grow.

I personally wouldn't. The terror isn't the most aggressive fish but by no means the least. Severums and firemouths are not usually aggressive enough to stick up for themselves against a green terror which if male could grow to10 inches plus.

Maybe a blue acara would be more ideal as they are from the same family, still have some nice coloration and will max out at 6 inches.

I have kept both and found acara to be far less aggressive however, I had a female and have heard that males can be a handful.

Hope to have helped. Good luck

Mike,

You have 4 in a 75. I just have 1 and don't plan on getting more. I am not sure why you think my 75 will be to small? please clarify not arguing just confused.

Fish Keeper,

I don't really like blue acara they seem to have no color. I never see any blue ones. I am not worried about the firemouth mine can get pretty nasty if they have to be. My pair kept a jag pinned in a corner (which I am rehoming) I am more concerned more with the Severum and if he will be alright with the GT. I keep reading mixed things about GT temperament do you have one?

If I'm reading right your doing 6 firemouths 1 severum and 2 green terrors. I'm seeing 6 6", 1 8" and 2 10" fish in a 48 x 18 space. I know I'm at the top end for size. I think the severum can handle himself as my 7" gold is rather aggressive. I don't know the bio load on firemouths but my severums are quite messy. I'm my opinion maybe try 4 firemouths 1 terror and your redspot first and see how it goes or just have a back up plan.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also dont get me wrong I know you know what you are doing.
Im basing this off when i had 2 4" A heckelii and 3 3" geophagus with the sevs and it was hard to keep the water quality where i wanted it and the severums were constantly nipping the geos and heckliis when they came near their space.
However I think my severums are meaner than most for some reason.

I never kept a servrums. But I've had a pair of fire mouths and terrors together never had a problem. I'd just have plenty of hiding spots for them at least one spot per fish. And I think you'll be ok with that mix. Id just do at lease a 50 percent water change per week if not more.

Also I do think 8-9 fish that size are to big for a 55 id do a pair of fire mouths a
Pair of gts and your Severum

Was thinking about getting 1 or 2 juvenile Green Terrors and putting them in with my 1 Red Dot Severum and 5-6 Fire mouths in a 75 gallon. Would this work?

I really don't know much about GT temperament so many people say they live up to there name others say they are babies. My Fire mouths are pretty aggressive so I am not worried about them as much as the GT with the Severum.

Your tank is stocked now. The terrors would be to much. Stick with the sev and firemouths they will more than fill that tank

If I'm reading right your doing 6 firemouths 1 severum and 2 green terrors. I'm seeing 6 6", 1 8" and 2 10" fish in a 48 x 18 space. I know I'm at the top end for size. I think the severum can handle himself as my 7" gold is rather aggressive. I don't know the bio load on firemouths but my severums are quite messy. I'm my opinion maybe try 4 firemouths 1 terror and your redspot first and see how it goes or just have a back up plan.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ok gotcha, I should clarify I am only keeping 1 GT. I was thinking getting up to three juveniles GT and keeping the one with best color cause some GT I see are very drab others are brilliant. So full adult tank would be

1 severum
1 GT
6 Firemouth.

The bioload of the fire mouths are quite low and they are very slow growers. I have no evidence to support this but I think they actually reduce the bioload of other fish cause they are constantly sifting sand picking up waste of other fish.

Also I do think 8-9 fish that size are to big for a 55 id do a pair of fire mouths a
Pair of gts and your Severum

I am doing a 75 and it would be 8 fish I will cull down the Fire mouths if need be. My 6 month old fry range from 1"-2" so they are slow growers.

My main concern is the GT with the Severum but glad to know your GT did well with the Fire mouths.

I always tell people to use aqadvisor I don't know why I didn't my self. I currently have 23 FM fry I getting rid of all but 6 so according to info below. If I do the 1 GT, 1 Severeum, and 6 firemouth and keep selling off fire mouths as they grow.

I should be good as long as nobody sees any problems with the GT and Severum getting along. Then I will end up with one of the following adult tanks.

Aqadvisor says
stock is 90% with the following

1 GT
1 Severum
2 Firemouth

Aqadvisor says
stock is 110% with the following

1 GT
1 Severum
4 Fire mouth

The only thing I would suggest is make sure the severum is larger than the GT to begin with. Not stating this as fact just my thought.

The only thing I would suggest is make sure the severum is larger than the GT to begin with. Not stating this as fact just my thought.

Good advice. I will hopefully be able to find one.

So just spoke with the LFS and my green terrors are in, I will be picking up Tuesday. I am going to get two as they are only 2". My severum is already bigger at 3". I will either get rid of 1 of the GT or get a bigger tank when the time comes but I am guessing it will be a while since they are so small and I read they are slow growers.

Anyone know how long before I will need to upgrade? The GT's are 2" and the red dot Severum is about 3"

So just spoke with the LFS and my green terrors are in, I will be picking up Tuesday. I am going to get two as they are only 2". My severum is already bigger at 3". I will either get rid of 1 of the GT or get a bigger tank when the time comes but I am guessing it will be a while since they are so small and I read they are slow growers.

Anyone know how long before I will need to upgrade? The GT's are 2" and the red dot Severum is about 3"

I can't give any inch to year ratio however they grow extremely slowly. On the other hand they reach sexual maturity fairly small ( around 4.5/5 inches) compared to their total adult size.

Even as a slow grower he/ she will definitely dominate the tank. Also if you end up with 2 males the dominant one will more than likely kill the other as was the case with my salvini cichlids

Back
Top Bottom