Gt tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What are the best tank mates for GT ?

It's going to really depend on tank size, but assuming you have larger than 90 Gallons, you can try another mid-sized to large SA/CA cichlid. I personally find Green Terrors to be extremely mean fish (at least the Gold-Saums, not the Stalsbergi) and they have bullied every fish I have tried them with.

For example, my green terror badly bullied firemouths, convict, a similar-sized oscar and a chocolate cichlid. I certainly wouldn't house it with anything less aggressive than those fish. The best luck I had with my green terror was a pike, but few people are very interested in them, so I rarely recommend them.

I'd steer clear of the big bruisers like jaguars/ Red Terrors, since that will probably just be a blood bath.

Maybe a salvini would work? Hukit might have some suggestions for you.

What is your tank size?

I have a GT with a Jack Dempsey. The GT is very peaceful and it is the JD that chases him. GT's do get meaner as they get older though. They are in a 63 gallon tank.

When I did research it seemed that JD's and GT's are probably the best choice.

Possible tankmates - Jack Dempsey, Convict, Texas, Red Terror, Firemouth, Oscar, Severum, Salvini, Black Belt, Silver Dollars.

Ideally 75 gallons or more and if you want the best chance of success get the fish when they are all juveniles and add them to the tank at the same time.

Not sure about Jaquar, Red Devil etc. Would need to be a big tank, at least 125 gallon.

Good choice btw. GT's are awesome fish.

The thing with SA/CA cichlids are yes we know which species "are" the bad boys. But... That does not mean there are individual fish from any species who are not as aggy if not more. GT's are one of these "hit or miss" types. I don't hold them in the regards of rd,jags,dovii, but more along the lines of Acara,JD, Texas.

In 55g I wouldn't try another med size, I'd go with a couple of smaller, 1 fire mouth, 1 convict. Would stay away from pairs as well.

Larger tanks 75-90-110 although they have the water volume the footprint does not allow for multiple 10"+ fish. Again is try the GT, with a couple a smaller mid aggressive cichlids.

125+ which I personally think would make for best set up. You could have a few mid sized cichlids. Texas, JD, salvini, chocolate, severums, even a Oscar. Obviously not all of these... But 1-3 of them. Depending on which you would pick.

This is all based on if you wanted other cichlids as tankmates.

SD's, bichirs, barbs, gd's, catfish, loaches all can make good tankmates as well. Really if I had more then "what's a good tankmate" i could maybe advise better.

I have jd, gt, jaguar, plecos and catfish all peaceful, except jag and big gt lip lock once and awhile

With my experiences with my GTs they have always been fairly laid back they definitely weren't what i had expected them to be having been named green "terrors" i have had no problems with them they can get aggressive at times but it never lasts. I noticed the fish they squabble with most often are the ones that can't exactly defend themselves i.e small fish or my blood parrots. My big male got into a lip lock with my red devil once but i guess he didn't get too far with that because he never tried it again i have seen him try with a few different fish but it usually is only one time then he never does it again. But that's only my experience they probably are different for everyone i find cichlids tend to have unique personalities.

The thing with SA/CA cichlids are yes we know which species "are" the bad boys. But... That does not mean there are individual fish from any species who are not as aggy if not more. GT's are one of these "hit or miss" types. I don't hold them in the regards of rd,jags,dovii, but more along the lines of Acara,JD, Texas.

In 55g I wouldn't try another med size, I'd go with a couple of smaller, 1 fire mouth, 1 convict. Would stay away from pairs as well.

Larger tanks 75-90-110 although they have the water volume the footprint does not allow for multiple 10"+ fish. Again is try the GT, with a couple a smaller mid aggressive cichlids.

125+ which I personally think would make for best set up. You could have a few mid sized cichlids. Texas, JD, salvini, chocolate, severums, even a Oscar. Obviously not all of these... But 1-3 of them. Depending on which you would pick.

This is all based on if you wanted other cichlids as tankmates.

SD's, bichirs, barbs, gd's, catfish, loaches all can make good tankmates as well. Really if I had more then "what's a good tankmate" i could maybe advise better.

I've heard about the more passive GT's, but I've certainly never seen that myself.

My GT's have always been like spoiled kids that don't want to share the tank with anyone else. They literally had my other fish pinned to the corners hiding behind plants all day. I decided to move the male GT because he was making the tank look so dull!

Back
Top Bottom