haps and peacocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toddster180

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone, bit of a newbie into he african chiclid world, just setting up a hap and peacock tank, preferbly all male tank, what sort of food are needed for these guys to show full colour? can these be fed certain frozen food? i have currently a 350 litre corner tank with internal juwel jumbo filter, cheers andy:fish2:

toddster180 said:
hi everyone, bit of a newbie into he african chiclid world, just setting up a hap and peacock tank, preferbly all male tank, what sort of food are needed for these guys to show full colour? Can these be fed certain frozen food? I have currently a 350 litre corner tank with internal juwel jumbo filter, cheers andy:fish2:

image-2396469176.jpg

image-2292074867.jpg

image-1868965257.jpg

Most of everyone on here will tell you to feed nls, I feed hikari pellets. I tryed nls yesterday just to see what all the hype is about and I was not impressed at all. I get a little cloudyness from hikari but it was nothing like the nls I almost couldn't see my fish for over an hour. Yes it was that bad so I won't be using that again lol. I also feed omega one veggie flakes and some home made food.

Very nice tank by the way :) is that an albino strawberry peacock? I bought one that showed really nice color and it hasn't looked the same since :(

Thanks for the advice , it's actually a marble peacock I think , really nice fish , I had that with a cherry red Hap it was dark with lovely red coloration , now it's gone a lighter colour am not sure if it's because he's not the leader of the pack am not sure , how many haps and peacocks would I get away with in a 350 litre tank ? Ave got 1 yellow peacock , 1 freigo , 1 marbled peacock , 1 ob peacock and some yellow labs , I know they say don't mix mbuna with haps but they seem to get along , what stock list you got ?

Toddster180 said:
Thanks for the advice , it's actually a marble peacock I think , really nice fish , I had that with a cherry red Hap it was dark with lovely red coloration , now it's gone a lighter colour am not sure if it's because he's not the leader of the pack am not sure , how many haps and peacocks would I get away with in a 350 litre tank ? Ave got 1 yellow peacock , 1 freigo , 1 marbled peacock , 1 ob peacock and some yellow labs , I know they say don't mix mbuna with haps but they seem to get along , what stock list you got ?

You'll be fine with the yellow labs or should be at least. The one I'm talking about is in the bottom of the first picture. It has red eyes and looks to me like an albino peacock. My list is

Yellow fin mbamba - not sure how many
Rusty- 1
Afra cobue 1
Greberi 1
Tangerine tiger 1
Pictus cats
Turtle
Ice blue zebra 1
Yellow labs not sure how many
Jakobfreibergi 1
Bn pleco.1
Strawberry peacock 1
Ob zebra 1
Elongatus 1
Bumble bee 2
Red zebra 2
Makonde 1
Red empress 2
Aurora 1

I think that's it Haha and its all in a 180 gallon and wanting to buy more. If I was you I'd aim for 20- 30 And try and stay with some of the smaller species.

Edit I think I'm missing some of what I have

Yer sorry my mistake , I think it is , it's only about an inch big lol an wow 180 gallon tank that's impressive ! How's ya turtle get on with them All ? 20-30
Let me count I may have nearly 20 now lol
1 electric blue hap
1 yellow peacock
1 freigo
1 c Moori
1 ob peacock
1 cherry red hap
2 kenyi red zebra
4 yellow labs
1 albino peacock
2 ob zebras
1 ventus giraffe chiclid
3 redline barbs
3 clown loaches
Where you based ?

Cool am loving that turtle ! Ya could Deffo squeeze more fish in there ! Plenty of room

Took a picture of my juvenile electric blue hap , do you think it's male or female ? Looked bluer when I got it

Attachments

• image-2100498797.jpg
    image-2100498797.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 213
It may be a male, I'm not sure. May be stressed or non dominant so isn't showing colors like he was.

I have a tangerine tiger thats just now starting to show colors at 3.5-4" if that tells you anything. My red empress didn't start showing till it was 3"

Back
Top Bottom