hard lesson learned on blue rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I finally have a nice pair of little blue rams. I've got them in a 10 gallon (see signature). I had purchased many before that all died in 24 hours of purchase and the lfs made good on them. This time I waited till they got a better batch and then I waited and got the last ones they had. The 2 I purchased, a male and female, had been there 3 months. The female actually laid eggs when I brought her home but they are all gone now :?:

Lesson learned? Watch for a good batch of blue rams and wait as long as you can to get them from the lfs. My lfs is on the same municipal water supply as I am so they had a chance to acclimate to similar water conditions before I obtained them.

I've had my fish for a week now and they do great. When I approach the tank they come to the glass. :)

This is an excellent post dax29, and it applies to all species, not just rams. Many times seemingly healthy fish will go into shock if moved too frequently. Allowing the fish time to adjust in the lfs can be life saving to the fish.

I dont understand why LFS sell there fish right away. It would eliminate this problem if they would just wait to sell until the fish have some time to adjust to the new water.

Some of the better LFS do wait to sell new arrivals. When I go to my LFS there are always tanks in QT due to new arrivals, they hold them for a few days prior to sale. I wish it was longer, but they have to make money.

I stopped buying at PETCO and PETSMART because they do not QT fish. I have seen them sell fish right after putting them in the display tank.

Back
Top Bottom