Hardscape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djbrefik

Aquarium Advice Regular
I see many photos where the hardscape is very near the rear, if not leaning on the rear of the tank. Does this impede the filters ability to do its job? Just wondering because I was considering doing the same thing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hardscape is the most important part of an aquascape IMO! I have very big extravagant hardscapes that go front to back and don't see any problems. I do big weekly water changes though. The water is going to find a way to flow either way. You can always add a powerhead for extra flow.

Attachments

• IMG_2930.jpg
    IMG_2930.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2935.jpg
    IMG_2935.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 129
Well, there ya have it. I have 2 powerheads in a 125. One on each side front and back. Thanks

BTW love the skulls! Where did you score those?

I got the human skull from petco and the croc skull from a reptile show. It's made by exo terra for terrariums but it sinks and is aquarium safe

I've found that having structure up against the lower back glass can create "poo zones". I have very good flow and even still the poo just gets packed into potholes in the substrate, I feel like if a fish can't swim through an opening (to stir crap up), than it will accumulate....

I prefer not to lean the rock structure on the back glass. I've done it in the past, and it really sucks, for example, to pull out 100 lbs of rock on one side of the tank because a fish died behind the rock pile. That happened to me around the middle of March. Never again. LOL

I prefer to not have the rocks near the back glass. Like Brookster123 said, poo accumulates there making it very tough to siphon out. I know from experience with my oscar and now his tank only has sand. I tool all the rocks out because cleanup became more of a chore then fun. He doesn't seem to mind me removing the 150lbs. Of rock from his tank either. Makes excellent swim room for him!

I never have that problem in any of my tanks, thats 300 pounds of lava rock in the first picture, I do take it out and rescape every once in a while and do not find to much poop.

Thanks for all the input. It gives me alot to think about. And im definately gettig one of those skulls. LOL

I don't have much problems with getting the poo from between rocks and glass, although it's not very tight because I leaned the rocks in a way to create a tunnel and openings for caves. My mbuna can swim the entire length of the back without difficulty as each "cave" is connected to each other. I did this because there is no way a fish will get trapped. :)

I don't have much problems with getting the poo from between rocks and glass, although it's not very tight because I leaned the rocks in a way to create a tunnel and openings for caves. My mbuna can swim the entire length of the back without difficulty as each "cave" is connected to each other. I did this because there is no way a fish will get trapped. :)
that was my problem, not enough swim space... I adjusted it and all is well.. No pooo! Just plants and sand:)

Back
Top Bottom