Hatchets with angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanW0007

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone know if Angelfish could live peacefully with Marble Hatchets? I would worry about the angels looking up and then deciding to attack. Anyone ever have the two together?

I've kept Angel Fish with Hatchet Fish before and not had any problems. The Angels tended to ignore the Hatchets completely.

-Joe

That would be a really beautiful tank for sure. I think hatchets can be pretty delicate though so make sure you keep up on your water changes. :mrgreen:

I have 6 hatchets with my one angel. Every once in a while, I will see him chase one, but its only for a second, and he hasn't hurt any of them. I would say my angel is on the aggressive side though. Or he mistakes them for food. I started out with 8 hatchets, and 2 died within the first week, but I attribute that to shipping stress. I brought them home the day they arrived at the lfs. And two have jumped out of the tank at feeding time. But were promptly returned to the water, and are fine. You should be fine. I would just recommend getting at least 6, 8 if you can. I have heard they don't do as well in small groups.

I had a hatchet with 2 angels before. Never had any problems. As mentioned above the angels usually ignored it except occasionally they would give it a run, but the hatchet was always too quick to ever get nibbled. Most of they time they seemed oblivious to each other.

Take heed of the jumping though... They seem to learn about the tank lid, and will jump sometimes when it's opened. Had mine jump clear across the room one day when I opened the lid. Luckily I was able to find him, and get him back in the water. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom