Have i just made a mistake with Kribensis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiesto643

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all

So a trip to my lfs today to get some usual bits and pieces turned into an impulse buy of a pair of Kribensis.

I really liked the look of them, havent seen them before. They were over the side of the store near the gouramis, angels, etc, opposite side to all the cichlids, so I didn't realise they were actually cichlids. Before buying I asked the employee questions about compatibility with my current stock, and he said they are fine.

So I got a pair.

After some research when i got home, I see they are cichlids, so I'm starting to wonder if I've made a mistake. As my first ever tank I made the same error and bought a jewel cichlid for my community tank without knowing, who pretty much massacred my tank population.

I'm hoping they were separated from the other cichlids for the reason that they are compatible in a community tank.

So far they seem ok, only aggression has been chasing each other. My Pleco seems to be getting a little p!ssed off with one of them going into his cave.

So what's your opinions do you think I will be ok with these or have I made a mistake?

Tank is 190 ltr corner tank (about 50 us gals).

Current stock
2 koi angels
2 gbr
12 rummy nose tetras
1 bristlenose Pleco
2 Kribensis

Thanks!

What are your dimensions of the tank? Are the Angels a breeding pair? Same question about the Rams and Kribs.

Tank dimensions....... It's a 190l (50 us gal) corner tank. 60cm high, 70cm side corners to back, 98cm across.

When you say breeding pair, are you just asking if they are male and female, or if they are/have been actively breeding in my tank?

Gbr is a male and female pair
Koi angels I'm not actually sure, think they are same sex.
Kribensis is male and female pair

You should be okay I have kept them in a tank with rams and tetras just fine.But Kribensis will get highly aggressive when they have fry.

I think kribs and blue rams are considered dwarf cichlids, and they are compatible with a semi-agressive tropical mix. I have a krib with two blue rams, a sword, a gourami, and some zebra danios.

I kept them in a community tank with red tail tetras, mollies, guppies, platies. No real issues. They can be a bit territorial but my other fish soon learned to keep out of their patch. You could add a couple of pots/caves for them to claim. The most aggression I noticed was against each other. This can be common, if they don't pair up. Mine didn't pair up, so I returned the female and am still waiting for my mate to get some more females in...

Back
Top Bottom