Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moose2010

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 50 gallon tank with 4 female golden mbuna and 1 male and 4 convicts and 3 other blue ones and a pleco. When I was cleaning my tank the other day I found 11 baby golden mbuna and so I put them in a breeding cage in the 50 and they were fine all day and yesterday morning when I woke up I checked on it and there was only 3 in there, and those 3 where fine all day again and when I woke up this morning there is one 1 left!! Where in the world did the other 10 go?!

Your other fish ate them

Either they sucked them through a hole (does not matter the size they can eat them through fish net). Or they jumped out of the cage and got ate

with cichlid babies, I would get a smaller tank to keep them in until they are large enough to put them with the others, or to sell. I know someone that breeds cichlids and they have 3 tanks. One for the parents, one for fry and one for when the fry get a little bigger but not big enough to sell or put back in the tank.

So having the fry in a breeder cage in the big tank with the rest is no good?

not if the other fish can get to them, which it sounds like they can or that the babies can get out.

It's weird tho I have had lots of babies in the breeder cage the same way as this and it has never happened before. But it wasn't cichlids either like guppies and stuff

guppies aren't as aggressive as cichlids and have a different temperament. Which may explain why.

Do u think I could put a red tailed shark in my tank with my cichlids?

I'm not sure about those.. I heard they are fast but cichlids are persistent if they don't like another inhabitant. I've heard that syndontis catfish are good with cichlids. A smaller Pleco like a bristle nose should be fine otherwise.

I have a Huge pleco in with them now he's like 8-9 inches and he does fine with them

I have a 50 gallon tank with 4 female golden mbuna and 1 male and 4 convicts and 3 other blue ones and a pleco. When I was cleaning my tank the other day I found 11 baby golden mbuna and so I put them in a breeding cage in the 50 and they were fine all day and yesterday morning when I woke up I checked on it and there was only 3 in there, and those 3 where fine all day again and when I woke up this morning there is one 1 left!! Where in the world did the other 10 go?!

Your stock is not good. Mbuna should not be kept with Sa/Ca.! Ever.

This is gunna sound stupid but what does sa/ca stand for? And I bought all the fish off of someone and not in a pet store they don't live in hard water and I'm not sure if they were born into soft water or not but the person I got them off said that they never added anything to the water and so I never either and the fish are healthy I have had them now for like 2-3 month with no problems at all except for the babies disappearing lately lol

So that being said I'm not 100% on the types either I typed cichlid types into good and that's what I came up with for the names

Attachments

• image-920918090.jpg
    image-920918090.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 54
The one on the top is the one I called a golden mbuna and the one on the bottom is the one I called the convict and there is three others that I'm not sure of what they are I think the lady said peacocks maybe

This is gunna sound stupid but what does sa/ca stand for? And I bought all the fish off of someone and not in a pet store they don't live in hard water and I'm not sure if they were born into soft water or not but the person I got them off said that they never added anything to the water and so I never either and the fish are healthy I have had them now for like 2-3 month with no problems at all except for the babies disappearing lately lol

Ca = Central American
Sa = South American

You will have serious problems here in a couple months if you don't do something with the Africans. You'll wake up one morning with just one fish, because he killed off the whole tank.

Back
Top Bottom