HELP! - Baby rams are opening and closing mouth fast - is this normal or a problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fanyfin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got two juvenile rams yesterday (one german blue ram and one gold ram) - about 0.75 to 1 inch long - and I have noticed that they are constantly opening and closing their mouths.

Is this normal for cichlids to have this behavior of constantly opening and closing their mouths?

It is only the mouth part that is moving constantly open and close. They don't seem to be writhing or jerking their entire bodies as if gasping for air.

I also got a few other fish along with them and they are NOT having that problem/behavior. The others include a few corys, a dwarf cichlid (also a juvenile) and a dwarf rainbowfish (also a juvenile). So it clearly is not a problem with my tank conditions.

Tank is cycled. Water parameters are all excellent and stable too - 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 ppm nitrate, 78 degrees temp, pH 7.8, moderate water hardness, plenty of bubbles for oxygenation.

Back
Top Bottom