Help emergency ~!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turbo V6 Camaro

Aquarium Advice Activist
Sorry guys/gals not much time to search

I have white zebra cichild, I notice the last few days she was not acting right and hiding a lot from the rest, she is not eating (at least that i have seen)

when i look at her bottom jaw seems extend and I can see therw it !!!! I can see what seem to be at least 2 yellow-ish dots one on each side

are these eggs?

If so what do i do i have a spare 10 gallon i can set up but i'm afriad to stress her out to much trying to catch her

she seems healthy other then the part about hanging at the bottom under the plants

no change to tank other then a bottom vacuum yesterday with 30% change and a moon light was added last week.

how long do i have ? would like the 10 gallon a few day to cycle but I can use 100% tank water and grab a few bio balls if needed from the 75 gallon

Thanks in advance

She won't eat for 3 weeks. After about 18 days, assuming she hasn't spat out the fry by then, when you are doing a PWC, net her and transfer her to the 10g. You will see the throat area has turned a darker colour by then. At this time you may choose to strip the fry from the female and put her back into the main tank or let her spit the fry out. Pros and cons to both ways.

Tank water only provides chemistry the same as the main tank, no biological advantage. I use a sponge filter in my fry tanks. You can start the sponge off in the main tank now, it will have enough bacteria for the fry by the time you need it.

She won't eat for 3 weeks. After about 18 days, assuming she hasn't spat out the fry by then, when you are doing a PWC, net her and transfer her to the 10g. You will see the throat area has turned a darker colour by then. At this time you may choose to strip the fry from the female and put her back into the main tank or let her spit the fry out. Pros and cons to both ways.

Tank water only provides chemistry the same as the main tank, no biological advantage. I use a sponge filter in my fry tanks. You can start the sponge off in the main tank now, it will have enough bacteria for the fry by the time you need it.

any idea to know how far along she is ?

this is my first time with cichlids and very unexpected LOL

I wouldn't call it a emergency, unless your a overly nervous God-Parent :p

Yes, sounds like she's holding.
Does she have a mate, are they fertilized?
Do ya wanna keep'em? Sounds like ya do.

Same advice as Mattrox for keeping fry, except to add, have fry food ready.
Shes about a week along.

Oh yeah... Congratulations!

I see little black dots in her mouth when she opens it. Is that the hatched fry? Or something else?

I wouldn't call it a emergency, unless your a overly nervous God-Parent :p

Yes, sounds like she's holding.
Does she have a mate, are they fertilized?
Do ya wanna keep'em? Sounds like ya do.

Same advice as Mattrox for keeping fry, except to add, have fry food ready.
Shes about a week along.

Oh yeah... Congratulations!

if she has a mate its my larger yellow/blue male or my yellow lab, the yellow lab has got very territorial in the last week but he is not guarding her. lol

in fact he has all the fish to one side of the tank,

could also be the male of her breed

ether way I can't see any male that's "helping" her and she runs from about everyone but the cat fish lol

yes want to keep them :) i'd feel bad if they just became food for the others...... witch i know is nature but still

No, not fry per se, they are still developing whilst they grow and absorb their yolks, once they hatch she'll release them, until then she'll hold'em and not eat.
IIRC, it takes at least 20 days for the eggs to actually hatch, think of'em as half-frys still semi-encapsulated with their egg/yolk.
Sounds like they're fertile.

The fry can be fed powdered dry foods, prepared fry foods, Artemia, Daphnia, Cyclops and etc.

They will be the developing fry. May be little heads or tails.... It takes about 2 weeks for the egg to be absorbed.
okay understand the yellowish thing is the yoke sack they live off that for a while.

so i at least have a 7 days to try and get my 10gallon cycled

i gotta go build a stand,

I put the little filter i got in the main tank already ( i got it for guppy fry )

I'll try and get some photos but not sure if they will help lol

thanks guys

No, not fry, once they hatch she'll release them, until then she'll hold'em and not eat.
IIRC, it takes at least 20 days for the eggs to hatch.
Sounds like they're fertile.

The fry can be fed powdered dry foods, prepared fry foods, Artemia, Daphnia, Cyclops and etc.
we have frozen baby brine shrimp ( i got for guppies) will that work

I have also used egg yoke smashed up (hard boiled) and mixed with water in the past for beta fry good or no?

The BBS and egg yolk, will be a good start, but I'd get some other suitable foods too.
Mattrox suggested a sponge filter, that would be ideal, put it in your current tank immediately. It'll be mature enough to sustain the fry when they're free swimming.
Just run the sponge with a airline, very simple setup.
Water quality will be paramount, don't overfeed, especially with egg-yolk.
Feed moderately and often, 4-8 times a day, really, less more often is much better.

pics not sure if they help, just making sure lol

884092759_vXAbV-XL.jpg

884092920_5oL2d-XL.jpg

884093068_6P9JH-XL.jpg

884093302_Bfybw-XL.jpg

884093459_BhabM-XL.jpg

884093524_S3D7g-XL.jpg

884093690_HiguG-XL.jpg

884093772_MzYGx-XL.jpg

The BBS and egg yolk, will be a good start, but I'd get some other suitable foods too.
Mattrox suggested a sponge filter, that would be ideal, put it in your current tank immediately. It'll be mature enough to sustain the fry when they're free swimming.
Just run the sponge with a airline, very simple setup.
Water quality will be paramount, don't overfeed, especially with egg-yolk.
Feed moderately and often, 4-8 times a day, really, less more often is much better.
i have this filter to much ? if so i'll grab a sponge tomarrow

i have the 50 model i think
Aquarium Systems Duetto Multi-Function Internal Filters at PETCO

I'm using spectrum in the main tank along with a flake food, whos name i can't remember. we got it from the cichlid store in st louis..... ummm

what ever the flake is it clean there system lol even in other fish

That filter will work if its already established, but...
I'd run it on minimum flow, and I'd put a sponge and/or pantyhose over the intake/outflow, the suction/current might otherwise be too much for fry.

That filter will work if its already established, but...
I'd run it on minimum flow, and I'd put a sponge and/or pantyhose over the intake/outflow, the suction/current might otherwise be too much for fry.
can do

i have it running in the 75 gallon right now so it can get established, i'll turn it down when i moved it to the 10 gallon in about 5 days or so i guess.

Thanks for the fast replies everyone

Not sure it is a zebra.... Looks more like an albino dragonblood peacock... or something similar

What did it breed with?
thanks for the info

most of these we got at the LFS (its just hobby), so was NOT trying to breed.

I don't know who she breed with, :( i'm not even sure what males are of age to breed yet, most are just getting color!

Back
Top Bottom