Help! Female Angel Fish Attacking Male Angel Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sleepyfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I have two Angel Fish in my 30g planted tank with eight Guppies and two Mollies. Everyone in my tank gets along great other than my devilish female Angel Fish who is dead set on murdering my male Angel Fish. I got them both at the same time just over a year ago, they were both the size of quarters and got along great and to this day get along great with all my other fish. Then all of a sudden around the first time my female Angel laid eggs she got angry towards all my other fish, which I know is normal because she was protecting her eggs, so I put a tank separator in to protect the other fish. I made sure to put the male in with the female because I thought they were a pair, but the female Angel Fish started brutally attacking my male Angel Fish so I took him out. The eggs must have been no good because she ended up eating them. After a while, she then calmed down and was fine with all my fish, except the other Angel! She does not bother any other fish, but she is so horrible to my other Angel Fish to the point where I have come out and looked for him and couldn't find him anywhere until I saw he was laying flat on the sand behind a big plant, I thought he was dead so I tapped on the glass and he raced out from behind the plant and the Female raced from the other side of the tank to start beating on him again. I have had the separator in the tank for months now and I don't know what to do. I'm about ready just to get rid of her :banghead: . Does anybody have any advice on what to do?

Hello, exact same thing happened with a mated pair I had. About 6mos ago they decided they didn't like each other. They were pulling scales & going for eyes. I mean really vicious fighting. I knew if I didn't seperate 1 or both would be injured or die. I've tried several times & things(lrg 55gal tank, rearranging tank & 1+mo separation) to get them back together & nothing has worked. So I finally gave up. Now they live in seperate tanks(divorced) & thriving w/no aggression towards any other tankmates. Hope this helps you!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom