Help? Fish suddenly dying.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlmonyMatt

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just did a 50% water change today as requested by someone on here from high ammonia levels. 10 min after water change I noticed several fish looking sick and one dead. What could have happened.
PH- I thought it was 7.4 before. Just checked it using the low PH range and it was only 6.4?
Ammonia- 2-4ppm
Nitrite and nitrate-0

I just did a 50% water change today as requested by someone on here from high ammonia levels. 10 min after water change I noticed several fish looking sick and one dead. What could have happened. PH- I thought it was 7.4 before. Just checked it using the low PH range and it was only 6.4? Ammonia- 2-4ppm Nitrite and nitrate-0
You have to do as many water changes as it takes to get that ammo below .25ppm, 0 is ideal, are you using conditioner? Matching temp?

I use Nite-Out II and also match temp. Yes. But even though the first water change seemed to cause fish to act funny should I keep doing changes?

I checked your profile and noticed your occupation, you have to be really careful when working on your tank, any of the chemicals you work with get into that water and could be trouble.

Yup. I use gloves at work and don't really get chemicals on my hands much

Just did another water change. 30%. Fish still seem to be hanging near the top gasping for air or just sitting on the bottom not moving much. Water temp is at 80. No more dead. Worried about it though

2-4ppm of ammonia after a water change:/ thats weird. Have you tested your tap water?

The 50% that was recommend was definitely the right advice and this must be a freak incident.

You say your ph was 7.4 before the change? When was your last water change before this? Do you have anything in the tank that could of raised it over time causing it to crash after the change?

Im either thinking that your tap water parameters have changed.
That you have something in the tank that raised the ph and the water change caused the ph to drop wildly.

Can you be sure the ph was 7.4 before and 6.4 after? thats a big drop and would definitely be a problem.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Well I'm new to the water tests. But I was using the high range kit all the time and it always came up to the 7.4 color. But never checked it on the regular PH chart. I don't know if I was reading it wrong. But every fish seemed fine besides alittle stressed before this 50% water change. Just seemed like it caused them all to go into a spiral for the worst. Still watching them gasp for air and not move at all on the bottom. Just laying there

Well it would show 7.4 as its the lowest ph of the high ph tester and only using the low range would given you a true reading. So we cant 100% put it down to a ph swing.

What do you have in the tank? Include woods, your substrate and any rocks.

Also as i asked before have you tested your tap water?

If your ph is now 6.4 it could be a case of your tank water was actually lower than this before the change because nitrosomonas release acids as a byproduct qhen converting ammonia which will lower ph over time. As ammonia becomes ammonium at low ph levels and the water change could of raised the ph enough to cause the ammonium to bounce back to ammonia and become toxic again.

In my experience if i was in your position i would still continue to change out water. Because its wont get better if you dont and has a chance if you do.

At such a low ph ammonia(ammonium) isnt toxic but also stops the bacteria needed to create your biological filtration to grow and stops the conversion of ammonia so ammonium will continue to grow and every water change will cause the same problems. The only way i can see is to rid the tank of ammonia and keep the water changes up or add a buffer so your ph stays at a level for your bacterial filtration to start working.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
I'm sure the tap water is 6.4 then as well cause that's all I have put in the tank. I have plastic plants and glo fish substrate. It's small rocks with colorful rocks mixed in

Back
Top Bottom