Help:( - Fish to Large for Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryleyman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had my tank for 10 gallon aquarium for 6months and when I first started I put in a yellow lab and a fry konji and I didn't know that they needed a bigger tank but my mom won't let me take them back or give them away:( I really need help:'(

Other than getting a larger aquarium, There is nothing else you can do, stating the obvious, but you can't stump growth without being cruel... So a 60gal is the way to go for rift lake!

All the best

AmazonFanatic said:
Other than getting a larger aquarium, There is nothing else you can do, stating the obvious, but you can't stump growth without being cruel... So a 60gal is the way to go for rift lake!

All the best

I'd there any way I can humanly kill them?:(

Umm..
These fish are relying on you to make the right decision
Killing them when they aren't sick because you can't properly care for them isn't making the right decision
Why cant you give them to the LFS?

Ryleyman said:
I'd there any way I can humanely kill them?:(

I would check with your fish store tell them your situation. They would probably be interested in buying them or giving you a store credit. Or you could post on Craigslist to sell em. I'm sure you can get rid of them you don't need to kill them!

My situation is my mom wont let me sell them or give them away:/

Tell her that the fish need to have a better home and that you need to give him away. also tell her you can always get a more suitable sized fish that will be way happier in there. If that doesnt work... Do it behind her back. Or look for a larger tank. Craigslist always has cheap tanks. Good luck.

imtcurveball said:
Tell her that the fish need to have a better home and that you need to give him away. also tell her you can always get a more suitable sized fish that will be way happier in there. If that doesnt work... Do it behind her back. Or look for a larger tank. Craigslist always has cheap tanks. Good luck.

il give that a try

Umm..
These fish are relying on you to make the right decision
Killing them when they aren't sick because you can't properly care for them isn't making the right decision
Why cant you give them to the LFS?
If you'd go back and read the OP, you'd see that they state that their mother will NOT let them take them back, or get a bigger tank. Euthanizing a fish because you cannot provide a proper, humane home is NOT the wrong decision.

mfdrookie516 said:
If you'd go back and read the OP, you'd see that they state that their mother will NOT let them take them back, or get a bigger tank. Euthanizing a fish because you cannot provide a proper, humane home is NOT the wrong decision.

I don't want them to suffer:(

I agree with mfdrookie. Hopefully, Ryley is able to convince their mom of the situation, but it looks doubtful. I know euthanasia sounds harsh, but there ways to do it without any pain. In case your have to, here is a thread explaining the pros and cons of different methods. I have done some research of my own on the topic, and I fully stand by the methods outlined by the OP of this thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/an-overview-of-euthanasia-73775.html

absolutangel04 said:
I agree with mfdrookie. Hopefully, Ryley is able to convince their mom of the situation, but it looks doubtful. I know euthanasia sounds harsh, but there ways to do it without any pain. In case your have to, here is a thread explaining the pros and cons of different methods. I have done some research of my own on the topic, and I fully stand by the methods outlined by the OP of this thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/an-overview-of-euthanasia-73775.html

I think il go with the freezing thing:'(

mfdrookie516 said:

If mom wont let them be re-homed or have a bigger home, is she happy for them to be killed? Either killing them or re-homing them is the same result NO FISH. Im sorry I don't understand the logic.

If you can't find a new home because no one will take them and you can't afford to buy a bigger tank then fair enough! But to kill a fish because you don't want them re-homed or sold is a very strange thing. and IMO anyone who thinks that way should not keep fish.

But to kill a fish because you don't want them re-homed or sold is a very strange thing. and IMO anyone who thinks that way should not keep fish.

Before the ethics train leaves the station, read what the OP said. He said his mom won't let him give the fish away or sell them. That removes that option.

So what's better, humane euthanasia or a slow lingering death in inadequate care?

Hopefully he can change her mind and rehome them, but we can only go by what we are told.

jetajockey said:
Before the ethics train leaves the station, read what the OP said. He said his mom won't let him give the fish away or sell them. That removes that option.

So what's better, humane euthanasia or a slow lingering death in inadequate care?

Hopefully he can change her mind and rehome them, but we can only go by what we are told.

I have read the hole thread. I always do before I comment on any posts.

I understand what the OP is saying and that his mom won't let him sell them or re-home them. I'm just saying that it seems strange that she would be happy for them to be killed but no re-homed or sold. When I said IMO anyone that thinks that way should not keep fish I was talking about his mom.

You can't disagree that I have a valid point. Even If i didn't keep fish I would see that as a very unreasonable attitude.

I have read the hole thread. I always do before I comment on any posts.

I understand what the OP is saying and that his mom won't let him sell them or re-home them. I'm just saying that it seems strange that she would be happy for them to be killed but no re-homed or sold. When I said IMO anyone that thinks that way should not keep fish I was talking about his mom.

You can't disagree that I have a valid point. Even If i didn't keep fish I would see that as a very unreasonable attitude.

Yes, I can disagree, but I do see your point. The thing is, the mom isn't the one keeping the fish, but she is the parent of the house. And I agree that it's unreasonable, but I'm sure she has her reasons to do so. That part is not for me to judge since I know nothing about their particular situation, I just advise based on the information given.

Ok I just found out that my friend has a 50 gallon that he's giving to me for free but my mom said like always NOO!! I'm going to try to convince her to let me keep get it but it has a little:/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom