Help! German Blue Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexgrippy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I got some new fish today some of which were German Blue Rams. While I was considering what to get the info sheet I found said they would be easy to raise and good for beginners and experts alike. After coming home and acclimating them and releasing them I did some more reading. Now everything I see says they are not good for beginners. Should I take them back to the fish store or ride it out? I don't want to kill them. Any advice appreciated! 20170414_205226.jpg

Hello. I'm no expert at all but I did read an article in practical Fish keeping where someone said German blue rams were the most challenging fish they had ever kept. But whether that goes for everyone I don't know.

Good luck whatever you decide!

They're already dead..... kidding... well.. maybe not:/ yah. Take them back, they're very sensitive fish. I've had better luck with wild caught apisto abacaxis than tank raised gbr.
Than again.. what's yoir setup like? All the details please

They're already dead..... kidding... well.. maybe not:/ yah. Take them back, they're very sensitive fish. I've had better luck with wild caught apisto abacaxis than tank raised gbr.
Than again.. what's yoir setup like? All the details please
It is a 35 gal long, I have a penguin 200 biowheel for and a tetra whisper pf-10 filter on it. Standard lighting for six hours a day and plastic rock, wood and plants with some real drift wood. Gravel substrate and heater. I dont know water conditions besides the LFS told me it was okay to put fish in there, I'm still waiting on my test kit.

They won't like a fish-in cycle.

Ugh. I love blue rams, and this is a nice pair. They are the only fish I've struggled with.

Yes, take them back, get your tank cycled, and then maybe you can get another pair.

They won't like a fish-in cycle.

Ugh. I love blue rams, and this is a nice pair. They are the only fish I've struggled with.

Yes, take them back, get your tank cycled, and then maybe you can get another pair.
My tank is cycled. It's been running for four weeks.

Okay, but you're still waiting on your test kit? You really can't know if your tank is cycled until you test your parameters.

Rams tend to succumb to infection and parasites when they are stressed. Hexamita is the most common.

Okay, but you're still waiting on your test kit? You really can't know if your tank is cycled until you test your parameters.

Rams tend to succumb to infection and parasites when they are stressed. Hexamita is the most common.
I've been taking it to my LFS. They use an actual kit but just test strips.

Do they show them to you or just tell you that everything is fine?

The amount of time you've spent cycling means a lot less than whether you've built up the nitrifying bacteria to turn ammonia into nitrites into nitrates.

Also, rams like soft, acidic, and warm water. So you need to know your pH and hardness. Turn your heater up to 82F.

Do they show them to you or just tell you that everything is fine?

The amount of time you've spent cycling means a lot less than whether you've built up the nitrifying bacteria to turn ammonia into nitrites into nitrates.

Also, rams like soft, acidic, and warm water. So you need to know your pH and hardness. Turn your heater up to 82F.
No they just said it was good to go. I'll probably take a sample back today and have them tell me the specifics

The more you know, the better you can take care of your fish.

I say this as a person who took bad advice. We bought a rainbow shark for our 29 gallon community at a pet shop employee's suggestion. I actually packed it up and brought it back, but the guy refused to take it. It bit a hole in a guppy! That guppy recovered, because she is indestructible, but the injury could have been avoided.

I lost five blue rams between hexamita (super contagious) and bullying before getting it right. The pair who survived spawned, and the female was my absolute favorite. She was amazing.

There was an injury in that tank (later) that likely lead to a columnaris outbreak that effectively wiped out both tanks. Terrible stuff. You don't want that.

So I got some new fish today some of which were German Blue Rams. While I was considering what to get the info sheet I found said they would be easy to raise and good for beginners and experts alike. After coming home and acclimating them and releasing them I did some more reading. Now everything I see says they are not good for beginners. Should I take them back to the fish store or ride it out? I don't want to kill them. Any advice appreciated! View attachment 298036
I have not had any problem with my Dwarf Electric Blue Rams. Perhaps it was beginner's luck? 1492270330436.jpg1492270385684.jpg1492270592461.jpg

I have not had any problem with my Dwarf Electric Blue Rams. Perhaps it was beginner's luck? View attachment 298072View attachment 298073View attachment 298074
Lucky for how long? Weeks? Say lucky next year if you can...
The ram is not a beginner fish and will not tolerate the hiccups of new keeper or in mature tank . They average 1-4 years with most people never getting past 1...Water quality is only part of the equation IMO..
I love everyone saying how hard they are makes me feel good !:whistle:
Many believe another part of the problem besides they are a ' sensitive ' fish is they are poorly bred by the farms...:cool:

I would return them if you can and work on going through the stuff you have no idea is coming your way...

The ram is not a beginner fish and will not tolerate the hiccups of new keeper or in mature tank . They average 1-4 years with most people never getting past 1...Water quality is only part of the equation IMO..
Many believe another part of the problem besides they are a ' sensitive ' fish is they are poorly bred by the farms...:cool:

I would return them if you can and work on going through the stuff you have no idea is coming your way...
I have a 54L planted tank with the pair of Electric Blue Dwarf German Rams and 9 X-ray Tetras, 2 bristle nose plecos and 2 mystery snails. I do 30-50% weekly water changes depending if I vacuum the pebbles. I have had this setup for almost a year.

I did lose my female before first month, but I was given a new one from the LFS where I bought it as replacement. I picked the largest female in the tank as the male had already grown to 2.5 in he's and I did not want the female to get beat up. The male took to the female pretty quick actually and they have been close together in the tank ever since.

I feed them frozen fish food mixture that the local fish store has. It has everything from bloodworms to shrimp. I have recently changed to every other day as they were not eating everything and the tank was getting messy. I believe it is because all of the fish in the tank have matured and are no longer growing. I also feed them a small pinch of flakes and crustacean pellets on the days they do not get the frozen food. The LFS recommended the pellets and the cichlids love them as it gives them something to chase in the tank and they are small enough for them to eat.

I feed the Plecos a tab of Pleco food every 3 or 4 days.

I feel cichlids are very rewarding. The female is much more social than the male. She come to the glass when I walk near the tank. The male will come out of the planted area territory they have established when I feed them. The X Ray tetras, Bristle nose plecos are all very easy as well.

I would like in the future to get a larger tank, perhaps a 120L and have 2 or 3 pairs of dwarf cichlids in there. I was thinking Electric Blue and Cockatoos. From the research I have done, well situated tank landscaping can setup proper territory for 2 or 3 pair with planted or stone / driftwood dividers. I am still researching as I may have to move in a year and do not want to establish something I will have to give up.

I hope that helps a little bit in regard to your German Rams.

this is very very true.

Back
Top Bottom