Help HITH issue with oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luexiong2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How can I cure HITH...and for the future how do I prevent it from happen again...I'm sorry I just started raising oscar so this is new to me

It's comes from poor water conditions, more frequent water changes, will help prevent it in the future. What size is the fish/tank and what kind of filtration are you running. How many tankmates? Knowing this can also help better advise you.

I've seen Metronidazole work on a Blue Acara, mixed into a food - never had any success treating for it myself. It's not always caused by poor water quality either, other factors like stress, injury and a poor diet have been linked to it.

HITH is a parasitic disease found in angelfish and discus. It is caused by Hexamita spp. and/or Sprionucleus vortens and is treated with metronidazole.

HLLE is a nonparasitic condition usually caused by less than ideal food and water quality. This is common in oscars (and many other species). It does NOT respond to any meds, but is treated by improving food and water quality. In some very rare cases it has been demonstrated that the cause in those cases was carbon use in the filter.

Oscars and other larger new world cichlids rarely get HITH, they get HLLE. They key to prevention and or curing is keeping the nitrate concentration below 20ppm(10ppm is better) and feeding a high quality and easily digestable pellet such as New Life Spectrum. Depending on how severe the deterioration of the sensory pits is there may be some permanent scarring but follow the above directions and there will be improvement.

What are your current water conditions, fish, and tank size?

Last edited:
HITH is a parasitic disease found in angelfish and discus. It is caused by Hexamita spp. and/or Sprionucleus vortens and is treated with metronidazole.

HLLE is a nonparasitic condition usually caused by less than ideal food and water quality. This is common in oscars (and many other species). It does NOT respond to any meds, but is treated by improving food and water quality. In some very rare cases it has been demonstrated that the cause in those cases was carbon use in the filter.

Oscars and other larger new world cichlids rarely get HITH, they get HLLE. They key to prevention and or curing is keeping the nitrate concentration below 20ppm(10ppm is better) and feeding a high quality and easily digestable pellet such as New Life Spectrum. Depending on how severe the deterioration of the sensory pits is there may be some permanent scarring but follow the above directions and there will be improvement.

What are your current water conditions, fish, and tank size?

My tank is 55 gal with one oscar about 4 months and one pleco. I uses two aquaclear power filter for 50 gal. N last time I check my ph is Like 7.2 I think...it was a light green color

My tank is 55 gal with one oscar about 4 months and one pleco. I uses two aquaclear power filter for 50 gal. N last time I check my ph is Like 7.2 I think...it was a light green color

What is the parameters such as ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

What are you feeding the oscar?

What is the parameters such as ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

What are you feeding the oscar?

I don't usually check the ammonia nitrate stuff because I usually think daily water change and good filters would solve that and I just feed it krills, chiclids gold, chiclids stable, and omega one

How can I cure HITH...and for the future how do I prevent it from happen again...I'm sorry I just started raising oscar so this is new to me

I had the same issue untill i learned my leason. What i tried was the tetra parasites remedy thats in. The yellow box, they are little tablets that desolve into the water, my oscar was almost cleared up in 5 days. Way to prevent it is, do your water changes!, 25% a week, also id suggest addibg aquarium salt wich speeds up growth and healing, also rais your temp, take out carbon when using the tablets, also hae proper filtration so amonia doesnt build up. Hope this helped!

Back
Top Bottom