Help me correct my mistakes please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patria

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've done the unspeakable...I blindly chose fish from a "mixed mbuna" tank. I would really like to find out which, if any, of my cichlids will be compatible as adults. First, I need your help identifying them. I'm prepared to do what needs to be done to have a healthy mix of cichlids, even though returning some will break my heart.(Maybe I'll set up more tanks instead! Lol)

Ok, so these are my guesses...keep in mind I'm new to this and going by pictures and lists. ;-)
My guess for #1 is m. Johanni(male) and #2 looks a lot like m. Johanni(female) [although these are barely over 2"...?]
#3 I'm drawing a blank; #4 looks like maybe a red zebra.
Unfortunately, it seems #5 is the big bad Melanochromis auratus, whom I've read some awful things about. Surprisingly, mine is quite peaceful so far...though I realize it's probably because they're all still so young.

So, now let me have it! Fuss at me and tell me I've been an irresponsible fish parent! I can take it! But also help me if you can! :)

Thanks!!!!

Sent from my VS930 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1394879707756.jpg
    1394879707756.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 172
  • 1394879735371.jpg
    1394879735371.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 158
  • 1394879766611.jpg
    1394879766611.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 1394879819333.jpg
    1394879819333.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 161
Pics continued...

Attachments

• 1394879939785.jpg
    1394879939785.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 157
  • 1394880007522.jpg
    1394880007522.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 1394880029289.jpg
    1394880029289.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 140
1 looks like the johanni or perileucos to me, and 5 is the auratus. I'd say def only one of the 2 species, they just don't gel well when kept together in my opinion. 3 could be an ice blue greshakei juvenile, moderately aggressive but should be fine with your mix.

2 or 4 could be a kenyi but I'm not sure. I think your mix will be fine so long as you don't keep the perileucos with the auratus, one or the other. At least they all Mbuna.

They will all be fine together you can almost put any Africans together I've done it my tank is mbuna and Victorians and one South American they get along just fine, cichlids are aggressive s by nature, they fight a lot and chase each other, just add more fish and rocks and feed them just a little bit a few times a day to keep aggression down, make sure to have good filtration

Try to stay away from the really agressive ones, my flameback Hap is the boss of my tank he can be a real pain lol I just move around the rocks and change up the scenery a lot because they like to claim half the tank as theirs and push everyone else in the corner, cichlids are bully's just pay attention to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! I really appreciate all your input! I woke up to a very unexpected and sad sight...my solid yellow guy is dead! He has been my bully(eating the fin off the "johanni"), but I sure didn't want him gone! I'm in panic mode...gonna test my water parameters and see what's up. I'll let y'all know. :(

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all your input! I woke up to a very unexpected and sad sight...my solid yellow guy is dead! He has been my bully(eating the fin off the "johanni"), but I sure didn't want him gone! I'm in panic mode...gonna test my water parameters and see what's up. I'll let y'all know. :(

has you tank already cycled? or is it all brand new?

Hsojkrieger it's fully cycled, tho I'm gun shy with cycling. Had a lot of bad luck last year. I'm posting a pic of my test this morning. My pH levels are low, and I've been fighting that since the start. I thought the Texas holey rock would help stabilize it, but it's been in there over a month. I actually bought a different pH raiser last night but hadn't used it yet. I dosed the first bit about an hour ago and gonna check it again shortly. Also, I'm due for a water change tomorrow. May do it today instead.

Attachments

• 1394903894806.jpg
    1394903894806.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 120
Don't use any chemicals at all, buy aragonite and mix it in with your substrate its $8 a bag at petco. I did that with mine. My water stays at 8.2 and my tap water is 7.0. The chemicals can shock them and kill them stress them out all kinds of bad stuff

Cichlids can adapt to almost anything but when the chemistry constantly changes it stresses them out badly, they thrive better in higher ph and harder water and their colors will really show. When I finally figured out the water chemistry and got my ph up and stable naturally the colors are beautiful but the aggression comes with it also I have a flameback Hap and he's a real dick head almost all the time. Just be patient don't use chemicals to adjust ph they will adapt to what ever it is just focus on everything else but in the mean time buy aragonite and use it in your filter as media or in your substrate. It's basically crushed coral

Yikes! Ok thanks! I'll get some this afternoon! Is that the same as cichlid sand?

It will say for saltwater or african cichlids on the bagImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394904983.689804.jpg

I also don't really change my filters often at all. Let them get good and dirty when the filter starts to slow just rinse the filter with tank water when you do a water change let the good bacteria build up

Ok. I kinda do something similar with my filters. I have two different filter setups, which gives me three replaceable filters. I completely change out one every other week and rinse the others in tank water the opposite week. Does that make sense? Lol

Yeah just let I go longer let it go for a month or so if it doesn't clog them up, that can change chemistry also by always cleaning them just leave them in there for now to let everything stabilize a stable aquarium is a happy aquarium lol chemicals tend to make things very unstable also. Just be patient I learned everything from trial and error

Thanks so much! As far as my four fishies that are left, should I just watch them? Make sure there's not too much aggression? And should I add more fish or be happy with these? Lol

Just keep an eye on them, keep an eye on the water. Add more fish and rocks to spread out the aggression

Thanks again. Headed to petco now! Wish me luck ;-)

Don't use any chemicals at all, buy aragonite and mix it in with your substrate its $8 a bag at petco. I did that with mine. My water stays at 8.2 and my tap water is 7.0. The chemicals can shock them and kill them stress them out all kinds of bad stuff

When I get home with the Aragonite should I slowly add it to the substrate over a few days or will it be ok to add it all essentially at once? Also, when I vacuum my substrate will it suck up all my new cool stuff? ;-P

Back
Top Bottom