Help me decide and tell me why!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcass

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok...so here's the deal. I've been struggling for about six months what to do with my tanks. I have a 54 gallon corner tank with African Cichlids, a 30 gallon tank with Goldfish, and an empty 76 gallon half circle reef ready tank.

In setting up the 76, I can't decide between the following (keep in mind the Goldfish are heading out to the backyard pond):

A) Build the 76 as a freshwater for three of my Livingstonii Cichlids to give them room to grow and hopefully breed. That would thin down the 54 giving my other cichlids more room. I could then use the 30 to put any fry from the Livingstonii's until they were large enough to put back into the 76.

B) Build the 76 as my first saltwater reef, leaving the other tanks as is.

I love Africans, especially the Livingstonii. At the same time I have always wanted a reef tank. HELP!!!

Attachments

• image-587981962.jpg
    image-587981962.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 70
  • image-2266535415.jpg
    image-2266535415.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 65
  • image-2574699896.jpg
    image-2574699896.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 66
hmm
ur cichlids look pretty big for their tank, umm if you dont want to spend a ton on lighting and stuff for a reef, i would put the larger cichlids in the 76. also if ur putting the goldfish in the pond, the fry could possibly go in the 30g tank, or make it a QT tank.

i got another idea, make the 30 the reef, and put a pair of clownfish in there.

I think this is all about preference. By posting this in the "Cichlids" session, you will probably (IMO) have biased people who will tell you to go with cichlid. But if you post this in the saltwater section, you will have people tell you to go reef.

That being said, I would suggest you to go with cichlids to give them more room and being able to sustain them along with their children. Also I think that reef is a really expensive process to start and maintain, (never enough live rock, anemones, etc) Also I think having a 76 half circle may limit a lot of your options for nice reef fishes.

Again, it is up to you.

I thought of that too so I actually posted in both sections to get a better range of opinions.

gman42 said:
i got another idea, make the 30 the reef, and put a pair of clownfish in there.

Hmmm...never even thought about that. Now I did think about putting all my cichlids in the 76 and doing a 54 reef. So many options!

i think a 55 reef will cut your price of maintaining the tank by alot.
keep us posted

In the saltwater section when I posted the same question, one guy said I was still about $2000 away from turning the 54 corner into a reef. That's a little steep right now.

Cornstar said:
I think this is all about preference. By posting this in the "Cichlids" session, you will probably (IMO) have biased people who will tell you to go with cichlid. But if you post this in the saltwater section, you will have people tell you to go reef.

freshwater > saltwater

Lol

Keep it cheap and less risk, go with more cichlids.

That really surprised me. Here I have about a $1300 tank, and about another $700 tied up in the Aqueon ProFlex sump, pump, and lighting.....and I'm still $2000 away from a reef! While I still would like to go that route I think I'll build up to.

I think my Livingstonii are going to love their new home!

This is why research is always great to do before buying. I bet you could have spent half that amount.

My 125 which is my baby cost me around 1100 to set up, including fish.

Well I have to admit, the tank I actually got for nothing. A friend of mine had bought it for water dragons a couple of years ago, got rid of them, and then the tank ended up out in his garage. When I was over at his place for a beer, I asked him what he wanted for it and his wife said "just get it the hell out of my garage". Yes maa!

Back
Top Bottom