Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2004, 11:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Help me fill my tank

Since The first time I saw them, Cyrtocara Moorii have been my favorite fish. Due to many circumstances, I have only had them twice before. Both times they fought like brave little cichlids. I now refuse to keep Pseudotropheus Zebra's because of it.

Anyway heres my dilemma, since the last time I had them I have done some reading. Some say that Cyrtocara Moorii need a minimum of 125 gal. I have a 90 gal. This is the first big (>75gal) tank I have had. I have no room in the house for anything bigger. I really would like to see these beautiful fish in my tank, but I would hate to cramp them up.

What do you think, could I keep them in a 90 or is that too small. I really respect your opinions, and will follow your advice. So let me know.

Irish Proverb

Ray

90 gal
9 L. Cearuleus
5 C. Moorii
4 P. Acei
2 N. Venustus
2 I. Sprengerae
1 unidentified Mbuna
1 Peacock with a slightly deformed tail.
xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 12:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Endgame319
IMO they dont need 125g, and 90 will suffice. They are only an 8" fish.

Old 05-07-2004, 02:08 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
X-Ray, I'd tend to agree with the ppl who told you that C. moorii needs a 125. The problem with a 75 or a 90 is that it doesn't really provide much more swimming room than a 55. A 125 gives the fish a full 6 feet to swim. I refused to stock them in the 100-gallon Tenecor I'm setting up (for someone else) bcz 4 feet really doesn't seem fair.

There are plenty of other great Malawi cichlids out there. The malawi peacocks are truly fantastic. Other M'bunas and haps don't tend to get the bump on their heads that makes C. moorii so popular, but they do have great color!

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com