Help me get some ideas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxkolbe

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone, I'm heading out to the LFS tomorrow to get some more mbuna for my 60 gallon all male tank. I'm am looking for dimorphic, easily sexed species since it is a forty minute drive and I don't have anywhere to put the females. I will also be returning a female that managed to get in the tank. My current stock is 1 cobalt zebra, 2 red zebra, one unknown species of peacock (maybe a sulfur head?) and 1 featherfin syno.I am returning a yellow lab.

I am looking to get 3-4 new fish and will be redoing the rockwork to redistribute territories.

ideas are johani, auratus, and red zebra. However I know the first 2 are very aggressive and if you could offer any alternatives it would be welcome.

Now before you ask why I am understocked I have been running an understocked tank for a while now and it has all worked out well.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer.

(On a side note does anyone know if a pearl gourami can live in a 28 bowfront? We will also be looking for a centerpiece for this tank)

Thanks again! :thanks:

I don't think putting in another red zebra would be a good idea as they would be prone to go after one another. I had two red zebras when I started out and the one eliminated the other. I think that a Johanni is a good idea I have one with my red zebra and he definitely holds his own. He also adds a lot of color. A male kenyi would be another good addition with their striking yellow color.

Ok, so let's get this straight. I like johanis so I'll definitely get one or two of those. Are you sure kenyis wouldn't be too aggressive? I thought they ranked up there with auratus?

I would stick with 1 johanni unless your gonna do a 1:3 male to female ratio...2 males can be all out war..

Ill say go for the johanni but as juvies they all look the same. I'd nix the auratus or he will eventually be the only fish in the tank. Afras are really nice, the males are usually colored up beautifully. Females are somewhat drab but still beautiful.

Ok, does anyone know any other dimorphic species that would work? I'm heading out this afternoon and want to have a list of options in case they don't have what I want.

Right now I've got:
Kenyi
Johani
Afra

Thanks for all the help so far! :)

Back
Top Bottom