Help! need to divide 29 for oscars!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

virus

Aquarium Advice Freak
hello everyone,

Ok the story is, my friend has a 55/75 or sumthing and he has 2 oscars (they are like 2 inches each), and his tank sprang a leak cuz he sealed it wrong so he asked me if i could take them in for like a week or two till he can get it fixed by a professional but he needed a tank fast so i threw them in the 10 gallon upstairs and its like FREEZING Cold in there(cuz there is no heater but its got filter and light) , so i wanted to know of any ideas for putting a temporery divider for my 19 gallon! i will not be keeping these so dont be like "omg that oscar is going to outgrow and take over" lol but i just need for like 1 week 2 weeks tops, so they should not grow THAT big lol but i was wondering for any ideas for a common house hold iteam that i could use for a tank divider!!!! lol please any suggestions would be great!!! or sumthing because i need to save some money for a heater, but im flat broke now :)

It's not "household" (unless you live in my house where I ALWAYS have some laying around), but you could get a piece of acrylic (lexan) from HomeDepot or something for less than $5. I've even been able to get small pieces of scrap from the said place for fee, though you'll need more than "scrap" for your project. It's very easy to cut as well. Perhaps you could have your buddy foot the bill... it's the least he could do.

ok, but is there anything lol, like i had an idea to wash off a ten gallon i had and stick it in there lol cuz i feel bad for da fishies, and they would be seperated lol would this be safe? any other ideas?

yes its planted, but i have it so its like "half-planted" all the plants are on one side but i can re-arrange that why do you think that they could go in there?

While your friend is fixing his tank, could you put his heater and cycled filter on your 20 gal 'lifeboat' tank? That way, his fish get heat and a cycled tank, and his filter's beneficial bacteria won't die.

Is the divider necessary because of aggression? Get a large enough piece of coarse fabric and bang together a wooden frame to hold it in place. This is a temporary thing, so it need not be able to last for years. Another option is putting one in the 10 and the other in the 20...but then you'd need two heaters and filters. I don't think putyting the 10 inside the 20 will work, because one tank wouldn't get any filtration or water circulation.

BTW, "omg that oscar is going to outgrow and take over" :p :lol:

is the divider for the tank you have in your signature 8O

cheap dividers are kindof easy if you know what your looking for in the craft department of a store.. the plastic stuff that you weave a rug into can be used.. just cut it a little big and shove it deep into the gravel.. HTH

you really dont need a divider that incredibly much because a two inch oscar isn't going to bother anyone yet because they dont get territorial until they get older so you should be fine even if theyre in there with other fish (i temporarily had mine with some tiger barbs) but its not 100% that if there are other fish that they will survive (mine eventually started to dissapear)
but good luck

ok thanks yall! but i found a miracle and cut somones grass, but beforen that i stuck my 10 gallon tank sideways and put the oscars in there lol it was a sight to see, but then because of the trim it couldent be turned like 10 degress sideways so my team of adventurous fishies (expecially the cories) got though and got stuck lol but i took it out and now i have a 50 w heater!!! thank you wall for this info !

Back
Top Bottom