Help needed w/ tank upgrade! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karmachica

Aquarium Advice Regular
Excited to announce that after 7 months of suffering from multiple tank syndrome, I've expanded my addiction to "bigger" multiple tank syndrome and FINALLY purchased a 55g long for my cichlids :)
My current 29g has:
1 male sunshine peacock
2 female sunshine peacocks

I'm excited to provide them with an appropriate size home when they move to the 55g and I will no longer feel like a bad fish parent here when everyone tells me my tank is too small for them lol
With that being said... I know upgrading from a 29g to a 55g isn't that extraordinary in terms of size but I was hoping to be able to add a little more stock once the new tank is situated properly.
I'm not interested in getting rid of the 3 cichlids that I have, so what suggestions does anyone have for adding more stock in terms of quantity, male/female, and I'm open to any species - not sure if that would even be an option though.
I'm not looking to make my tank stock complicated, or to add stock only to find out its a recipe for disaster - just looking at my options and planning things the right way.

Thanks in advance for any opinions or advice during my new adventure of tank upgrading :)

Excited to announce that after 7 months of suffering from multiple tank syndrome, I've expanded my addiction to "bigger" multiple tank syndrome and FINALLY purchased a 55g long for my cichlids :)
My current 29g has:
1 male sunshine peacock
2 female sunshine peacocks

I'm excited to provide them with an appropriate size home when they move to the 55g and I will no longer feel like a bad fish parent here when everyone tells me my tank is too small for them lol
With that being said... I know upgrading from a 29g to a 55g isn't that extraordinary in terms of size but I was hoping to be able to add a little more stock once the new tank is situated properly.
I'm not interested in getting rid of the 3 cichlids that I have, so what suggestions does anyone have for adding more stock in terms of quantity, male/female, and I'm open to any species - not sure if that would even be an option though.
I'm not looking to make my tank stock complicated, or to add stock only to find out its a recipe for disaster - just looking at my options and planning things the right way.

Thanks in advance for any opinions or advice during my new adventure of tank upgrading :)

I would help but I'm clues when it come to cichlids. It's pretty late at night, but I'm sure somebody will post something :)

Lol thanks

I'm just going to check out the stocking calculator thing on here & go from there while I do more research - I forgot about the stocking calc available here

I looked up tank mates for my peacocks and I think I know what I want.
I currently have a trio of either sunshine peacocks or German red peacocks(1male-2female)

Through my research I think I may go with:
A trio of Placidochromis Electra or common name-Deep Water Hap?

Here's a pic of them:

image-4225841262.jpg

Does anyone have these? Does anyone know if this would work?

If you want to add more peacocks you want to keep multiple females to just a few males. You could do another group of peacocks or some smaller haps. Most Victorian haps should be okay in a 55 with some peacocks.

Placidochromis electra get to be 5-6" and are a very active fish. Like all Haps I wouldn't keep them in anything smaller than a 5-6' tank.

First let me start off by saying thank you for your responses and I do value everyone's opinion especially because I'm the one asking for help in the first place.

I read a lot of posts here and do a lot of my own research online to gain knowledge of this hobby and to avoid making mistakes at the expense of my fish. I also understand that what works for one tank might have a different outcome in a different tank.

I'm not the 'hobbyist' that saw cool fish at the store, bought them and afterwards decided to look into what I bought... I'm the 'hobbyist' that saw a tank at a friend's house that was disgusting, had 3 poor unknown fish in it, and instead of turning my back on her flushing them- I rescued them - I took them home with their tank, cleaned it up, researched them, narrowed it down to Aulonocara Baenschi Malawi peacocks.

My fish are amazing & I've learned more about cichlids in the past 7months than I've learned about my cats in the past 10years. The biggest issue that always came up about my fish is that I need a 55g - and then I could add a few more. It's always 'everyone needs a bigger tank' and I understand that fish have requirements. Just like people- we can survive in a cardboard box but we won't thrive in one. Well I would certainly thrive in a mansion... But I can't afford it so I live in an apartment. Lol

I haven't even had the pleasure of setting up my new 55g (4ft long) and I'm already feeling discouraged of 'you need a bigger tank'. I can't go bigger than a 55g where I live for fear of my tank ending up in my neighbors living room below me due to weight.

I'm thinking I will either move my 3 peacocks to the 55g and in 10years when they die I will revisit the idea of what to put in my tank- Or just return my new tank and find someone that has a 3,000g tank with room to spare and is a cichlid expert.- I just feel like unless I'm living in a house made of concrete with a gigantic wallet and a gigantic tank - I'm never going to have more fish than my 3 peacocks housed 'properly'- like ever. Lol

-Oh yeah.. Did I mention they had babies and 2 survived and they're adorable and almost an inch long? Lol I will stop looking into what I can add and just focus on taking care of what I already have & I guess figure out if I can even do that.

You can defiantly add more than just your three peacocks to a 55. Just shoot us some ideas and I'm sure mog and I can help you find the perfect compatible stock.

You can defiantly add more than just your three peacocks to a 55. Just shoot us some ideas and I'm sure mog and I can help you find the perfect compatible stock.

I agree don't get discouraged just because certain fish won't work. There's a multitude of fish that will work in your planned 55. Is there certain colors you are looking for?

I think most would agree the friendlier mbuna species are compatible with peacocks. They are smaller, could maybe pick up a few more fish that way..

oh ok, stand corrected. I have a yellow lab and hongi with my peacocks, the mbuna are an inch smaller for now, though. I suppose it's true things could get ugly when mbuna get bigger in a 55. I have a 75g, soon upgrading to 125...

oh ok, stand corrected. I have a yellow lab and hongi with my peacocks, the mbuna are an inch smaller for now, though. I suppose it's true things could get ugly when mbuna get bigger in a 55. I have a 75g, soon upgrading to 125...

I have a 125 mixed and don't have any problems. Yellow labs may work, typically are pretty nice.

My reasoning/concerns about adding are a combination of aggression and possibly adding a little more color - but I'm not particular about the color or species at the expense of what I already have.

My male peacock (while I do enjoy having him) he can be kind of a ?!&#%! .. If u know what I mean.. It's not all the time but there are moments that he will not leave my 2 female peacocks alone & while I understand its a breeding thing, he stresses me out just watching him sometimes so I can only imagine how the females feel. - so with that being said, I will most likely be adding another female.

The reason I asked about the Placidochromis Electra was because
1. They were on a compatibility list with Aulonocara peacocks for a 55g
2. I read that since their appearance was slightly different than peacocks -it would help reduce aggression compared to adding more peacocks since in that situation it might add competition and cause more aggression.
3. I liked their appearance, thought they may add a little diversity to the tank, and the black stripe by their eye makes them look a lil 'hood lol IMO

At the end of the day, I'm ok if my stock idea wasn't the best and will keep looking into other possibilities. And I do appreciate everyone giving their advice and sharing personal experiences because that's the reason we all come here. I will look into other ideas and continue my research.

Looking ahead- although this may take patience on my part, I might wait until my 2 babies grow up more and then make a decision after that. If both my babies end up being males, then I won't really be able to add anything except a bunch of females. I know waiting that out will take forever though as I understand some males don't show color for a long time.

o_O
Cichlids.Are.Complicated.

Back
Top Bottom