help on rock - Can I Use Cinder Block?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ochana25

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey everyone so i currently have a 90 gallon with parrot, severum, firemouth jack demspey and pleco at my work there currently doing construction and they have really nice sinder block just wondering if they can be put inside a tank the sinder block has lime in it would that hurt the fish

hey everyone so i currently have a 90 gallon with parrot, severum, firemouth jack demspey and pleco at my work there currently doing construction and they have really nice sinder block just wondering if they can be put inside a tank the sinder block has lime in it would that hurt the fish

That would most likely lower the ph a lot... What is ur ph reading now?

Umm I don't know I'll test tonight but I won't risk it then what's a good rock to put in

I love slate personally.... U can stack it great which makes a lot of good hiding spots for your fish.. Also slate looks good with tall live plants behind them.

I'm dying to put plants in my tank but I was told my cichlids will eat em up all make a mess

I had a fire mouth and Severus before. They never touched it. Also had a pleco with them to. He would lay on the think leaves but not really eat it. If I were u I would put one in see what happens and if they leave it alone why not add more?

Ya ur right awesome thanks for your help appreciate it

One more thing sorry lol will slate affect water and how beneficial are live plants in the tank

One more thing sorry lol will slate affect water and how beneficial are live plants in the tank

Slate for the most part never really affects water that much. There's always a possibility when adding something but slate is usually a safe bet. Also I'm not an expert on plants but I do know they help in some way. If u were u I would start a thread on plants and a lot of plant experts on here will help u

My severums destroyed 3 amazon swords in one night and left just stems and huge green poop .

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Guess I'm gonna have to try it out worst case they terrorize the tank lol

Their awesome fish They will give you puppy dog eyes if you go by the tank and dont feed them. Full of personality.

I definitely agree with you there expect that jack Dempsey he always gives me the evil eyes but I love his. Personality

Last edited by a moderator:
I went for a hike at a waterfall and brought a backpack and loaded it with slate rock lol was a mission walk back to the car lol just wondering if it will be safe for my tank and what's the best way to clean it

I went for a hike at a waterfall and brought a backpack and loaded it with slate rock lol was a mission walk back to the car lol just wondering if it will be safe for my tank and what's the best way to clean it

Just soak it in water for a day or 2 and give it a nice scrub!!!

Back
Top Bottom