Help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danieldaddy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Need help ID the sex of my two dovii. I know it's blurry mmy phone stinks, sorry. But any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 1491776234455.jpg
    1491776234455.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 127
And also the small one already has teeth just started to come in. The larger one does not??

Hello!

I am going to try to make a stab at guessing their genders. It's really difficult when they're smaller/juvenile. I want to guess that the one at the bottom is most likely male. Dovii's tend to have a solid-ish black lateral line that runs through them. They may also have a spotted pattern above and below this line (you may want to check yourself, it's difficult to see in the pic). When they get older, males also get more coloration on the head and between the eyes.

For the one on the top, I want to say it is a female. The lateral line Is more punctuated across the body. Also check for spotted patterning. If it doesn't have it, it may be a female.

Be aware, however, that the lines and patterning may change and I could be wrong. But judging on your photos now, that is what they seem to be.

Hope that helped!

Pretty sure that's a Carpintis on top and dovii on bottom. A better picture would be easier to tell, but the top definitely does not look like a dovii

Oh really freakgecko91? If so that stinks. In was told they were both dovii when I purchased them. Don't know much about them. My first time with this fish. I was wondering why the bigger one was so much more passive than the little one. They have never hurt each other just playful nipping but its always the smaller one as the aggressor. And the smaller one already has teeth and the larger one doesn't yet so that answers that question as well. But I was for sure they both were? Very puzzled here

Top is not a dovii, it could perhaps be some other sort of parachromis hybrid like a dovii x jag. Bottom on def a dovii though.

Either way if they both male you will eventually be left with only 1, and gonna need a massive tank. [emoji23][emoji106]

Good luck.

Here is a better pic of the bigger one

Attachments

• 1495243860609.jpg
    1495243860609.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 67
Thanks Aski247 I think so too. Although I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little bummed he isn't a true Dovii

Yeah I mean I understand that but who really wants to take on a 600+ gallon tank to house a full grown adult pair, and most likely a single male. As eventually he will kill his mate wanting to spawn.

There is nothing out there like them as far as aggression and weaponry. True monsters when they are grown. [emoji51][emoji7]

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The big one is always shaking and flirting trying to mate with the little one. Every night its the same routine but so far no eggs

Yeah definitely not a carpintis. The head shape is all wrong for a true dovii to me. I agree with the hybrid idea by Aski.

Thanks everyone for the input. I love the big guy. I just really got interested in dovii and got what I was told were both Dovii. So a little bummed out but he is such an amazingly beautiful fish with all the blue green and gold. But I sure wamted a Huge glass banger. And although he might still get hige he is still so far a very passive fish the smaller one runs him all over the tank.

I wouldn't be bummed if you want a glass banger there is a chance it could still end up being one... then again even if it was a full on dovii from a reputable source there is no guarantee it would be one either...

They are all individuals.. and will come into their own as they mature.

The reason he is being ran around the tank is it wants to spawn with her.. so where she goes he goes..

I'd keep and eye on them because as he gets older and wants to spawn.. he could up ending up killing her by getting to rough. Make sure she has some hiding spots to where he can't get into.

Well he did it. I came back after one day out of town and he had killed her. And I never understood why she never laid any eggs

Back
Top Bottom