HELP PLEASE!!!!!! Cichlids and snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigtay

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have mbuna cichlids from bumble bee,labs and acei's. Is it ok for the to eat baby snails? My daughter's snail just laid a clutch of eggs and now she has about 100 baby snails in her tank. I was going to add them into my tank,but my fish might eat them and I just wanted to know if it would be ok.I don't want my fish to get bloat!!!!!!

Snails should be fine as a food source. I have never heard of them causing bloat. I give snails to my loaches all the time and they are very healthy.

I have heard that snails with sharp shells can be an issue if the fish eats the snail, shell and all. That's the only thing I could think of being an issue other than parasites and diseases.

If yellow labs munch on them, it is possible for malawi bloat, but I don't think it's enough of a protein source. I wouldn't be surprised if none of the cichlids even bother with them. My malawi tank is filled with various nerites. Bigger than pond snails though.

I thought so,that's why I didn't put them in there yet,I will wait til they get bigger to put in my tank. I will keep a few and give the others to pet shops or people I know!!!!

I have a bunch of MTS in my mbuna tank. They keep the population under control for me. I seriously doubt you will see bloat because of snails. Mbuna are supposed to graze on algae and occasionaly a crustation amongst the rocks

Bigtay said:
I thought so,that's why I didn't put them in there yet,I will wait til they get bigger to put in my tank. I will keep a few and give the others to pet shops or people I know!!!!

Bigtay where are you from? I could use some more snails ;)

Jmedic25 said:
I have a bunch of MTS in my mbuna tank. They keep the population under control for me. I seriously doubt you will see bloat because of snails. Mbuna are supposed to graze on algae and occasionaly a crustation amongst the rocks

Ok,thanks,what is mts?

mts is malasian trumpet snails. my jewels eat every snail i put in there tank,and have had no detrimental effects

alLexX said:
mts is malasian trumpet snails. my jewels eat every snail i put in there tank,and have had no detrimental effects

Ok,thanks, I will have to do something because they are keeping my daughters fishtank dirty!!!!!!

Snails should be fine as a food source. I have never heard of them causing bloat. I give snails to my loaches all the time and they are very healthy.

I have heard that snails with sharp shells can be an issue if the fish eats the snail, shell and all. That's the only thing I could think of being an issue other than parasites and diseases.

Snails are an excellent diet for loaches. Many types of loaches are the best snail removers out there, I use Yoyos.
Cichlids will be fine eating them, but if it's all the yellow labs eat, it is possible for bloat. They develop it easier than other mbuna with higher levels of protein, while others need a lot of protein

Koikid88 said:
Snails are an excellent diet for loaches. Many types of loaches are the best snail removers out there, I use Yoyos.
Cichlids will be fine eating them, but if it's all the yellow labs eat, it is possible for bloat. They develop it easier than other mbuna with higher levels of protein, while others need a lot of protein

K thanks,I do have clown loaches in my tank also, just wanted to know if it's ok for my mbuna's!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom