Help Please - Over protecting Convict Father?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrazyBenBOMB

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been breeding convicts for a couple months and they finally were able to get their fry to free-swimming stage.

The mother protected them for the longest time, then recently the father took over and he is now control the free-swimming convict babies around the tank.

Today I went in my room and I was looking at my tanks. I went over to my 55G and I noticed the father moved the group into the center of the tank (different location) and noticed the mother was missing. I couldn't find her anywhere in the tank until I noticed her hiding behind the outtake of the filter.

I netted her and put her in a breeder trap quick just to get a good look at her. She looked perfectly fine except her colors are faded compared to before.

Now whenever she goes near the babies he chases her away and now she is forced into hiding on the other side of the aquarium.

What should I do to prevent this from getting any worse? I don't have any QT aquariums and have no room for her or fry in any other tank.

Put a divider in the tank. Go to Lowes or some other hardware store and look in the lighting section for "light diffusers/deflectors". They are 2' x 4' sections of plastic grid basically and they can easily be cut for a tank divider. Use about 4 suction cups to hold the divider in place. There's not much else you can do unless you have another tank.

Put a divider in the tank. Go to Lowes or some other hardware store and look in the lighting section for "light diffusers/deflectors". They are 2' x 4' sections of plastic grid basically and they can easily be cut for a tank divider. Use about 4 suction cups to hold the divider in place. There's not much else you can do unless you have another tank.

Alright thanks Bryan, i'll look into the divider.

I've been breeding convicts for a couple months and they finally were able to get their fry to free-swimming stage.

The mother protected them for the longest time, then recently the father took over and he is now control the free-swimming convict babies around the tank.

Today I went in my room and I was looking at my tanks. I went over to my 55G and I noticed the father moved the group into the center of the tank (different location) and noticed the mother was missing. I couldn't find her anywhere in the tank until I noticed her hiding behind the outtake of the filter.

I netted her and put her in a breeder trap quick just to get a good look at her. She looked perfectly fine except her colors are faded compared to before.

Now whenever she goes near the babies he chases her away and now she is forced into hiding on the other side of the aquarium.

What should I do to prevent this from getting any worse? I don't have any QT aquariums and have no room for her or fry in any other tank.
Hey Ben,
I've had a pair of convicts that have been together since Dec. 2008.I started out with a 45gal corner tank. I was able to save alot of the babies by removing them before they were eaten by the other tank members. I now enjoy watching my fish enjoy their new house (a80gal bowfront) that was only occupied by adult fish until a week ago. The pair are protecting a bunch of free swimming fry. My 45 gal tank houses alot,ALOT of young convict ciclids 3months plus in age.And now the partents have new ones again. Is there anyone in search of some convicts? Send them my way. I have to do something soon. I don't have the room for another tank just for the babies and I don't have the heart to let get eaten. can use some advice.
Thanks for listening,
LORI

You can buy tank dividers at the larger pet stores. I have baby jewel cichlid fry right now in my 55gal. They've been free swimming for about a week and a half now and my parents are acting the exact same way. Up to today, they were switching off, taking turns looking out for the babies, but Dad does probably about 60 to 75% of the fry-rearing. Although today I noticed the same thing. Suddenly, mama Jewel looks a little "browner" than normal and she seems to be staying in the furthest corner of the tank that she can. I've decided I'm putting her back on the other side with the other community tank members tomorrow morning. I hope I don't regret waiting until morning to do it. Anyhow, I got a basic 55g tank divider for $15 at Petsmart and it has worked perfectly. Fortunately, I have the 26gal I was trying to sell so I'm going to keep it to transfer the babies to in a few days. If I were you, I'd take mom out now and keep an eye on Dad. I've read that they eventually turn on the babies, too, just not as quickly as mom does. Good luck with your little ones!

Back
Top Bottom