Help sick parrot!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mogurako

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently bought a running 90 gallon set up and with it I ended up adopting 3 sizable blood parrots, not a fish I'd normally buy but they kinda grew on me. I moved and set up the tank on Sunday and for the last 24-36 hours one of the parrots has lost almost all his color, has been hiding allot, very listless and hasn't really been eating. I can't see anything physically wrong with him besides the lack of color.

I did water tests and everything looks normal. Ph is at 7.2 and my temp is 76. I planned on doing a water change to see if that helps.

Sounds like stress from the move, I would keep the water clean, leave the tanks lights off and cut back the feedings for a few days to let them settle down.

All the other fish are active and feeding which made me think that just the one may be sick. Up until about a day or so ago that fish was just fine as well.

All the other fish are active and feeding which made me think that just the one may be sick. Up until about a day or so ago that fish was just fine as well.

Well thats different, did you transfer the filters and media from the previous owners. You said the water levels were ok, but what exactly are they? And if your testing the water how are you doing it?

can you post a pic comparing the colors with the others

Yea same filter, media, decor everything. All we did was was put the fish in rubbermade tote with water from the tank a heater, air stone and small filter.

Temp 76
PH 7.2
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate between 0 and 5 ppm

I am using a API master test kit

First picture from today, second picture from Monday after they settled in.

Attachments

• image-2593342113.jpg
    image-2593342113.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 85
  • image-3256717312.jpg
    image-3256717312.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 91
Well all your levels are perfect, but lower temps for parrots could explain the loss of color. I would bump it up to 80f and continue to monitor the fishes behavior. Could there be a chance of stress from the other tankmates? A picture would help some too.

Picture was posted probably as you were replying Huk, the temp is the same as when I got them from the owner. I tried to keep everything the same to keep them as stress free as I could. Their tank mates are the same as well 2 four line catfish and an iridescent shark ( guy who had them didn't know how big he'd get, my LFS is taking him in for me)

Well it really sounds like your doing everything right, but I would still bump the temp up slowly to around 80f. The last question I have is what are your feeding then? Do you ever see that fish being harassed? What are your feeding them? Otherwise your doing everything you can.

I feed them a mix of hakari gold pellets and blood worms. The guy before me only feed them beef heart and blood worms but they seemed to be takin the new food just fine. The cat fish and shark don't bother the parrots at all. There was a bit of the parrots pushing each other around the first day but they were swimming together the rest of the time after that.

I did about a 20-25% water change before bed and raised the temp to about 78/79 and he is begging for food and swimming around with the rest of them. Still a little pale but got allot more color back.

Attachments

• image-4263542210.jpg
    image-4263542210.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 59
Back
Top Bottom