help: Will this work? Planted in Crushed Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jason1985

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys I'm new to this forum. I am starting up a small cichlid 25 gallon tank. For the substrate I would like to go with something more tropical like crushed coral or similar. I am thinking of planting a few plants and having a nice rock setup.

Will plants grow in crushed coral? what are you suggestions?

My future goal is to go SW but I will slowly work my way up with experience.

i`m thinking that the live plants won`t work because of how the crushed coral will buffer the ph and make it high. this is great for the cichlids but not for plants. Also i have a malawi tank and i use silk plants which still look nice in the tank. Cichlids do have a habit of eating and destroying live plants too.

What type of cichlids will you be keeping? I'd be more worried about the CC becoming a nitrate trap then the pH affect since most plants can handle a fairly wide range. I think sand may be a better option overall.

What type of cichlids will you be keeping? I'd be more worried about the CC becoming a nitrate trap then the pH affect since most plants can handle a fairly wide range. I think sand may be a better option overall.

I will be keeping a few Labidochromis caeruleus and a few other Lake Malawi species.

What subtrare do you recomend. I am looking for the more tropical substrate feel

If you use sand you can have a surface layer with larger particles that will naturally stay on top.

Have you looked at Pool Filter Sand? It's a bit whiter without looking "bleached", has a slightly bigger grain size than play sand, and is about $8-9 for 50lbs.

Back
Top Bottom