Help with Discus age

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DiscusLvr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was hoping someone could help me with a roundabout answer for the age of my two discus. I bought them separately from petco and the are kept in separate tanks. Their colors aren't fully developed yet and I was wondering about how long I have until they are full grown or close to full grown. A rough guesstimate is fine. Im not looking for anything super specific.
The one on the left is a White Diamond and the one on the left is a Blue Torquise. I think, this is coming from me googling pictures of discus until I found one that kinda looked like mine.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394676127.294831.jpg. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394676150.015187.jpg

well how big are they now? I would guess 2-4 months, but it depends on how they have been raised so far. You can grow them out pretty fast with a proper diet and pristine water. Also, why are they in separate tanks?

The white diamond is a bit bigger but i would say average about 2 inches. Ive had them for about 3 months now and they havent grown much. I feed them blood worms twice a day and do 25% water changes once a week. They are in separate tanks because the white diamond starting picking on the blue torquise. To the point that the smaller one would spend the whole day in the corner and stopped eating. Im not sure if it is because of the size difference or what but for some reason they just dont like eachother

They should be growing faster than that. 2 inches is about 2-3 mo old. They should have added at least an inch after 3 more months. Juveniles require a lot more water changes than adults. They also do better in larger even-numbered groups. 25% once a week is not sufficient for growing juveniles IMO. I would do at least 50% 3x or 4x a week. You can go up to as much as 100% everyday if you really want them to grow to adult size within 24 months. You can also add more variety into their diet.

Do you have any recommendations for food? Ive tried feeding them freeze dried brine shrimp and they don't want anything to do with it. Also they are in tanks with painted platys. I haven't seen any other hobbyists keep these two fish together and the platys are slightly aggressive at feeding time. Would this have anything to do with my discus not growing or maybe their aggression towards one another? Sorry to ask so many questions, just trying to figure out as much as I can to keep these guys growing and happy

Yeah I would remove the platys. A complete flake food is a good staple for young discus. NLS pellets work also. The frozen bloodworms like you're using are good too, but I consider those more of a treat. Also, what do you have the temperature at? Juveniles do well at 86F

Temp is currently at 84 because of the platys. I didnt want it to get too warm in there for them. I also have corydoras and a common pleco. Would the high temp bother them at all? I can move them if need be.

They are stunted 20 gallons is to small for discus

Ive removed all platys and returned both discus to the same tank. So far so good. Hopefully they get along now. If not I may have some platys up for sale soon since I don't have a third tank to house them. But thank you so much for the help!

I'd be careful with cories in high temp tanks, many species do not do well above 80 degrees. Sterbai are a good high-temp species, if I'm not mistaken

I'd be careful with cories in high temp tanks, many species do not do well above 80 degrees. Sterbai are a good high-temp species, if I'm not mistaken

You're not. ;)

Sterbai do well with discus. We kept them together at 84-85F. They are a pretty popular choice for discus keepers for that reason.

Back
Top Bottom