Heros Appendiculatus/ Heros Efaciatus ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well every site I looked up had a different explanation. The most common was one is wild and the other is only bread in captivity.

Also that all captive Heros were efaciatus. I'm just curious what is right. It also said the efaciatus can teach 10 " and the other usually only reaches 6".

Well every site I looked up had a different explanation. The most common was one is wild and the other is only bread in captivity.

Again you are talking about two SEPARATE species so the whole one is wild and the other is captive thing carries no weight.

There are 5 naturally occurring variants of efasciatus and 3 common ( Gold, White and Albino) man made variants. Most fish in the Heros genus all reach an adult size of 8-10".

Heros appendiculatus is commonly referred to as the "Green Severum" how ever it is commonly mistaken for Heros severus which is a the "Green mouth brooding Severum" that reaches a size of 12".

Again you are talking about two SEPARATE species so the whole one is wild and the other is captive thing carries no weight.

There are 5 naturally occurring variants of efasciatus and 3 common ( Gold, White and Albino) man made variants. Most fish in the Heros genus all reach an adult size of 8-10".

Heros appendiculatus is commonly referred to as the "Green Severum" how ever it is commonly mistaken for Heros severus which is a the "Green mouth brooding Severum" that reaches a size of 12".

Thanks I guess I need to study some more. I have 2 red spot golds and just want to know more about them. Some times I think its easier to get a degree than learn all there is to know about fish. Also there is so much conflicting info on the net that it gets real confusing. Thanks for the input.

Your "Gold Red Spot" is still a Heros Efasciatus "False Severum", Just selectively bred from the Gold variant to make the red more present. The GRS will still hit that 8-10" mark. There's no need to have a degree, just be very intelligent about the sources you trust for information.

www.fishbase.org is a good place to start.

Your "Gold Red Spot" is still a Heros Efasciatus "False Severum", Just selectively bred from the Gold variant to make the red more present. The GRS will still hit that 8-10" mark. There's no need to have a degree, just be very intelligent about the sources you trust for information.

Search FishBase is a good place to start.

Awesome link! Thank you

Back
Top Bottom