Hi how many discus ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bgkf1996

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have a 4 foot tank lol not good at maths anyway I have 1 angel 1 dwarf gourami 2 platies 1 ram 1 pleco and a black ghost knife Would discus mix well with my lot or can someone recommend any other fish

Agreed the angels will out compete the discus for food and stress them out. The Pleco will suck holes in the discus while they sleep. Gouramis sometimes work but they are not guaranteed not to stress them. And the black ghost I'm not sure about but I don't think the tank is big enough for all of them.

Your choices are great but I have one question. How old is you black ghost knifefish? I have read those fish get to be 20in long? Knifefish, also getting older will eat anything he can fit into his mouth. That is one interesting fish!!

Hi my tank is 4ft long 3ft in Height and 2 ft wide I'm upgrading soon to a bigger tank . Maybe discuss are not for me lol is there any other fish you could maybe recommend thanks

Hi my tank is 4ft long 3ft in Height and 2 ft wide I'm upgrading soon to a bigger tank . Maybe discuss are not for me lol is there any other fish you could maybe recommend thanks

With these dimensions, I would guess 75 gal. My tank is 4' x 2' x 1' and is 55 gal. My brothers tank is the same dimension as mine in length and depth, but is 24" deep (front to back) and is a 75gal. But as i said it's a guess and I'm no expert, just my 2 cents :whistle:

Roundtree said:
Your choices are great but I have one question. How old is you black ghost knifefish? I have read those fish get to be 20in long? Knifefish, also getting older will eat anything he can fit into his mouth. That is one interesting fish!!
I have had bgk for a year now he has eaten my neon tetra and my hatchet fish

JoeBob said:
With these dimensions, I would guess 75 gal. My tank is 4' x 2' x 1' and is 55 gal. My brothers tank is the same dimension as mine in length and depth, but is 24" deep (front to back) and is a 75gal. But as i said it's a guess and I'm no expert, just my 2 cents :whistle:

I would say your right I think my tank is about 75 gallons

Ruairi1996 said:
I have had bgk for a year now he has eaten my neon tetra and my hatchet fish

BGKs are kind of slow growers so it's fine as a temporary solution for now, but keep in mind these guys do need 110+ gallon tanks because they get that big.

I believe that is a 75 gallon tank, but for discus I would try moving some of the stock out so the discus have a more peaceful environment.

I've only seen clown knifefish fully grown. Such cool fish, their movement is fascinating and such cool personality. Watching them feed at night, WAY COOL! I have a 55gallon and mine isn't that deep so I would agree, 60 or 75gallon is probably what you have.

Can you post a picture of your bgk?

Are you sure about those measurements???

There are 7.48 gallons per cubic foot, and there will be a little less inside than from the outside dimensions (usually ~ 92%). A 55 is 4'x2'x1' = 8cu.ft * 7.48 = 59.8 * 0.92 = 55.016 ..... so 55 gallons.

The dimensions you listed figures up to 24 cu.ft * 7.48 = 179.5 * 0.92 = 165.16 (165 gallons!!)

Phranque said:
Are you sure about those measurements???

There are 7.48 gallons per cubic foot, and there will be a little less inside than from the outside dimensions (usually ~ 92%). A 55 is 4'x2'x1' = 8cu.ft * 7.48 = 59.8 * 0.92 = 55.016 ..... so 55 gallons.

The dimensions you listed figures up to 24 cu.ft * 7.48 = 179.5 * 0.92 = 165.16 (165 gallons!!)

I'm confused now lol i think it is 55 gallons then

Back
Top Bottom