Holding female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrp1588

Aquarium Advice Addict
This morning during feeding I noticed one of my rec zebra's kinda hanging back and not joining the general feeding frenzy. lol. Didn't really think much of it...but now I notice sort of a pouch under her jaw sorta...if that makes sense. Anyway she continues to hide in the hollows of my holyrock away from everyone else...The male has certainly been trying to breed the female, but he always lures them back into his little pits so I can't see what's going on...anyway, here's a picture

WOOHOOO Jase! You have your first batch of fry coming! Can you see in her mouth to see if it is fry or eggs?

she doesn't seem to be co-operating as far as opening her mouth. I got a tiny peek once and I think I saw some tiny black dots...eyes on the fry maybe? anyway, what are your thoughts on removing the mother vs. letting the fry fend for themselves in the main tank? I'm not sure if I have enough hiding places for fry to survive...

You can do either or. If you want the fry, then move the mother to the QT. If not, then just leave her in. If this is her first batch then you probably won't have many that survive. I'd wait about 2 weeks after you first notice that she's holding to move her. But if she starts getting harassed by the other fish, then I'd definately move her ASAP because it will only stress her out.

provided she has bred with the right male, you'd want to seperate her to keep them. If they are cross bred just let them spit in the tank, IMHO there are to many crosses flooding the market.
Congrats mate, well done :)

Matt.

Back
Top Bottom