hole in.the head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's the food's you feed. Often happens to oscar owners due to lack of knowledge and feeding too many feeder fish.

It's the food's you feed. Often happens to oscar owners due to lack of knowledge and feeding too many feeder fish.

That's not quite 100% correct man, I'd like to take this opportunity to quote the great HUKIT.

"HITH is a parasitic disease found in angelfish and discus. It is caused by Hexamita spp. and/or Sprionucleus vortens and is treated with metronidazole.

HLLE is a nonparasitic condition usually caused by less than ideal food and water quality. This is common in oscars (and many other species). It does NOT respond to any meds, but is treated by improving food and water quality. In some very rare cases it has been demonstrated that the cause in those cases was carbon use in the filter.

Oscars and other larger new world cichlids rarely get HITH, they get HLLE. They key to prevention and or curing is keeping the nitrate concentration below 20ppm(10ppm is better) and feeding a high quality and easily digestable pellet such as New Life Spectrum. Depending on how severe the deterioration of the sensory pits is there may be some permanent scarring but follow the above directions and there will be improvement."

That's not quite 100% correct man, I'd like to take this opportunity to quote the great HUKIT.

HITH is a parasitic disease found in angelfish and discus. It is caused by Hexamita spp. and/or Sprionucleus vortens and is treated with metronidazole.

HLLE is a nonparasitic condition usually caused by less than ideal food and water quality. This is common in oscars (and many other species). It does NOT respond to any meds, but is treated by improving food and water quality. In some very rare cases it has been demonstrated that the cause in those cases was carbon use in the filter.

Oscars and other larger new world cichlids rarely get HITH, they get HLLE. They key to prevention and or curing is keeping the nitrate concentration below 20ppm(10ppm is better) and feeding a high quality and easily digestable pellet such as New Life Spectrum. Depending on how severe the deterioration of the sensory pits is there may be some permanent scarring but follow the above directions and there will be improvement.
I heard using salt to treat it is very effective also, and increasing the temperature. Not sure of any specific details though.

I'm.not seeing anything I've just read about it and was wounderingbwhat u guys thought thanks

That is why I use aquapraziquantel. It took me a long time to get this stuff. You can order it on amazone. Praziquantel aqua meds. Helps against bloat and hole in the head . I have post it to manny members. I have 2 bottles of 25 grams. It will last you a long time. And not 1 have died. Compair to parasite clear. This is praziquantel is a pure form and it does no harm to your fish. Look it up on the net.

Hi.
My german ram has a hole in his head, but it looks different from what I have seen for hole disease in pictures. He has a wound, bright white with torn white edges, like something is sticking out of the hole (body tissues?). Can it be Hexamita?
yesterday I added API General Cure to the tank, but today the hole looks bigger.

Back
Top Bottom