holy cow!...angel eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fergie615

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone

Came home from work today, went to clean the glass a bit, couple of angels where actually chasing the mag cleaner instead of hiding as usual, look at the back of my thermometer and wouldn't you know, about a fifty or a hundred eggs sitting right there.

The parents are protecting them. I almost thought one was eating them but it's more like kissing them.

Any ideas on what to do? I was not expecting this to happen.

Thanks...Fergie

Let the parents protect them 'til they hatch. With teras and rasboras fry won't last long. Once they fry become free swimming net them out and put them in the Qt by themselves. Feed them liquid fry food or sera micron (or both). Be warned the parents will attack you and then net when you try to catch them. They will may also be aggressive ... blaming each other for eating the fry... but they will get over it.. Kepp us posted! :mrgreen:

You can pull the eggs out about 60 hours after they were laid. By this time, they should be "wigglers" and if you look close enough you will see tiny little hairs coming out of the eggs. IMO its easier to pull them out at this point than to try and net them. You will need a bare bottom tank of some sort. A 10 will work at first, but they will quickly outgrow that and need a bigger tank later.

Post your question on this website: www.angelfish.net . I love aquariumadvice, don't get me wrong, but these guys are angelfish breeders and very knowledgable. They have helped me through my first 5 spawns. HTH and good luck!

Also, be forwarned, once you have a breeding pair, they will spawn every 2 - 21 days! So be prepared for even more eggs.

It is safe and easy to syphon fry which have just finished the wrigger stage too. I like to let the parents guard. That way you know the fry are getting that instinct from the parents. It is my opinion that "bad" parents in cichlids is on the increase in species which are continually reared away from parents.

Sorry about the lack of response, been kinda busy. First saw them on friday night, but by saturday morning they were gone. I'll have to keep an eye on those two, a black and a black marble veil, they seem to have taken over the left side of my tank.

Thanks for the info everyone, this should be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom